- Chapter 8.1 -

Header Media Credit:
Stand in the Rain
by Superchick

Later that afternoon, Cliff's mom and aunt invited me with them to Alexandria's Downtown Amphitheater. Rock the Red festival was on, the city's annual Independence Day celebration. There were fireworks, live music, and local food vendors. It was so much fun! My phone almost ran out of storage for the large number of group pictures and videos we took.

"We're really glad you came with us today, Fiona, to celebrate the 4th of July. My nephew always talked about you lately, so we told him that he can't come home without you this time around," aunt Sandra said.

"Thank you! This is so much fun!" I said then asked, "By the way, where did Cliff and his dad go? I forgot to ask him about it."

I noticed how the two of them shared a meaningful glance at each other before Caitlyn answered my question. Aunt Sandra smiled in silence.

"Oh, let's leave the two men with whatever is keeping them busy at the moment. Us ladies have our own kind of fun," Caitlyn said, laughing. Then the two of them shared another meaningful glance and even hid their smiles. Hmm, that's weird.

We roamed for another round at the venue then stopped as Caitlyn pulled out her smartphone from her bag. She read a text message, smiled, and then turned to us.

"Alright! Party's over, ladies. We need to get going," she said.

"Fiona, dear, we'll just be dropping you off at the residence," aunt Sandra said as she drove the car back to the colonial manor. She checked on me through the rearview mirror.

Caitlyn was in the passenger's seat. She turned to look at me. I sat comfortably in the back seat as I looked at them.

"What about you?" I asked.

"Oh, don't mind us, dear. There's just something we need to buy at the market," Caitlyn said.

"We also need to meet Gabriel at a café in town," aunt Sandra said.

"So we'll leave the house for a while to you two young lovebirds," Caitlyn said and then gave me a playful wink.

I nodded and smiled at them. I felt my cheeks blushing.

"Clifford is a nice guy, just like his papa. You don't have to be scared of him," aunt Sandra said and then chuckled.

"Oh, I trust him. So far, he's been a gentleman," I said, nodding in agreement.

"He doesn't usually introduce any lady to the family. He had girlfriends in the past. But we'd never know about it unless we actually catch him with her in town or in school. Or if somebody else tells us. He's that sneaky," Caitlyn said, laughing.

"That's true," aunt Sandra said and laughed, too.

"He must really be into you," Caitlyn said, a hint of sincerity in her voice.

I felt my cheeks burning this time. I must be blushing like hell already. Hot da*mn!

Cliff and I were not even an official couple yet. I believed that we were merely 'in an open relationship', something like 'special friends'. Okay, some called it 'friends with benefits', too, because... hey, it's the 21st century already anyway!

We never talked about relationship labels or anything that involved a serious real commitment to each other. But how could I explain something like that to his family? So I just kept silent, smiled, and blushed the entire time.

"Alright, here you go, dear," aunt Sandra said. She stopped the car in front of the driveway back at the residence.

"Have fun, you two! We'll leave you a moment alone," Caitlyn said.