Chapter 40

We are all in silence as the priest read the bible verse. Honestly, I'm light-headed right now. I don't know if it's the weather or the feeling of coming in here altogether for my brother who, ironically, died on his birthday.

Endymion Zohan Heytzenstein Travilla was born on November 17, 2001. He turned 23 years old today. Ang mausoleum niya ay napuno ng mga taong nagmamahal sa kanya. Kumpleto ang aming pamilya at mga kamag-anak. They all wanted to give him a gift, but our parents asked for monetary support for they will donate it to the dengue patients in public hospitals, lalo na sa mga liblib na lugar sa mga probinsya.

Hinawakan ko ang kamay ni Mommy bago ako yumuko upang tahimik na manalangin. Naluluha kami ni Daddy, pero hindi na nakayanan nina Mommy at Ate Symphony ang kanilang mga emosyon. Some of my relatives at the back are crying, too.

"Enzo, anak ko..." Mommy sobbed like a child.

Nang mapadpad ang tingin ko sa stand kung saan nakalagay ang malaking portrait ni Enzo ay bumigay na rin ako. That oil painting was a product of my imagination of how he would look like if he was still alive. I painted it last year as it needed a lot of time to dry completely, and I considered it as the best and the hardest work of art I've ever made.

"Oh, my God..." pumikit ako at dinama ang naninikip kong dibdib.

The tears I've shed are nothing compared to the unending pain my heart felt. It was torture thinking that I would never get to see my brother. Ang tanging magagawa ko na lang ay sariwain ang mga alaala niya. And whenever I think about it, I'd break into pieces. The beginning was filled with happiness and it always put a smile on my face, but when it comes to the end...

Niyakap ako ng nasa kanan kong si Doug. Pinunasan ko ang mga mata ko at tumingin sa lapida ni Enzo. Ang pinaghalong white roses at white lilies ay nasa mga maliliit na pasong nakapalibot doon, maging sa paligid ng mausoleum. Ngunit ang nakapukaw sa atensyon ko ay ang bouquet ng white sunflower na nakalapag sa gilid ng lapida ni Enzo.

Tinagilid ko ang ulo ko para sana tanungin sina Daddy at Mommy kung sino ang may dala niyon, pero mukhang inaasahan na iyon ni Daddy dahil nakatingin ito sa akin.

"Later..." he said.

Tumango ako at yumuko na lang ulit. Pagkatapos ng misa ay nagkaroon kami ng pagkakataon upang magbigay ng maikling mensahe para kay Enzo. Nauna si Daddy at unang salita pa lang ay nabasag na ang boses niya.

"Anak..." He took a long pause to breathe. "The day you called me 'Superman' never left my mind; it was one of the happiest days of my life to think that you looked up to me so much. You told me I was your role model and you wanted to be like me someday. B-But I never told you that you were wrong because you had surpassed me... I knew how you took care of your mother and your sisters whenever I was busy at work or on a business trip. I knew how smart you were that I'd be so happy to turn over the business to you as it would be in good hands. I knew that you always call my secretary everyday to check on me. Those are just a few things I wish I did when you were still alive—for you to see my worth and to honor the duties and responsibilities that were inclosed as your 'Superman'. I wanted to thank you for everything, my little gentleman. Happy birthday. I love you and you will always be in my heart."

Okay, that's it. I'm totally bawling my eyes out for that was the first time Daddy has said something like that. It's unreal thinking that he kept it for years unlike Mom, Ate, and I who had been so vocal about it.

Pagkakataon na ni Mommy para magsalita. Nanatali naman sa kanyang tabi si Daddy upang may mahawakan na kamay habang isinasatinig ang saloobin.

"Enzo, anak..." Tumingin siya sa lapida ni Enzo. "No offense to your sisters, but you were my sweetest child. Our memories are still fresh like they happened yesterday. Even greeting you 'happy birthday' is painful. Walang araw o gabi na hindi ka sumagi sa isip ko, anak. Matagal na kitang pinalaya, pero hinding-hindi ka mawawala sa puso't isipan ko. We all knew that you're happy up there so we tried our best to be happy without you, too. H-Happy birthday, anak ko. I love you so much. You will always be my baby boy..."