Chapter 42: How To Save A Life

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, he started to cough again, desperately trying to catch his breath.

"Robert", she stuttered still in shock, "If that's what I think it is, I can't take it."

Slowly, he opened his eyes until their gaze met eventually.

"Because you think you do not deserve this?", he asked quietly, already knowing the truth from looking into her concerned eyes, "You're the only one I'd..." Once more, he was interrupted by another episode of coughing.

Instantly, the door opened and the man in the white lab coat entered the room.

"It's time, Mr. Downey", he said in a serious tone, regarding Robert closely, "Your sister has told me about your decision and your-... Conditions."

Robert nodded slightly, looking at Liz one last time.

"Take it", he whispered almost inaudibly, "You deserve it. And who knows... Maybe we'll meet again, in another life..."

She faked a weak smile as a single tear streamed down her cheek.

"I'll see you in another life, Robert", she then said goodbye before a few nurses carried him away, looking after him as long as she could until he disappeared around the corner and no one was able to see the tears she eventually allowed herself to fall.

And on his final way to the OR, he passed by his family and Tom who were regarding him with the same sorrowful expression as everyone else. Allyson broke down in tears as her brother bid adieu to her, forcing her father to hold her in a tight embrace. And Tom... He kept back his tears. He was going to deal with his pain on the inside.
Only a few seconds later, he was gone, out of sight, on his way to the OR where Coulson was going to try his best to save his life.
And Liz who had dried her tears before she was able to approach the others, she simply grabbed Tom's hand and leaned her head against his shoulder as they both sat down on the chairs in the hallway and she closed her eyes, enduring the endless silence of waiting.

Music was playing. People were chatting and laughing. Some were drinking and some, some were dancing. But none of that mattered as long as I was with him. And as I looked up and his caramel orbs with that golden sparkles met mine, I once again lost myself in his eyes of pure love and tenderness.

"How are you doing, Missus D?", Robert asked jokingly as his arms were wrapped around me and we danced to the rhythm of the music the band was playing, "Is everything alright? Is everything as you imagined it to be?"

Immediately, I smiled from one ear to another.

"Everything's even better than I could have ever imagined, Robbie", I replied and leaned my head against his chest where I closed my eyes and enjoyed the safety and warmth of his embrace.

He chuckled quietly and planted a soft and loving kiss on my forehead, gently caressing my hair.

"And this is just the beginning of a long and wonderful life", he mumbled then, tightening his grip around me, stroking my back over the satin of the dress I was wearing.

I opened my eyes again to look up to him.

"I love you, Mrs. Downey", he then said, unable to hide the growing smile on his lips, especially enhancing my new name.

"And I love you, Mr. Downey", I replied before I stood up on tiptoes and pulled him closer into a deep kiss, completely forgetting about the world around us.

Everyone got up as soon as they recognized the doctor at the end who was slowly walking towards them.
Allyson knew the truth from the moment she was able to see his eyes, marked by that sorrowful expression.