Part 14

Days were passing by.

        Fab6 used to meet at Manik's house more often than the others' houses since they considered Nyonika to be the coolest mom among their moms.

On one such occasion,

        Nyonika : "I met your mom the other day. She looked a lot happier than earlier. I see some change in you too. I am assuming there must be a special reason."

        Abhi : "Yes Aunty, Mom is trying to come out of her depression. I and dad are also happy because of the change in her. The credit goes to my dad's friend's daughter, who is staying with us."

        Nyonika : "How did she manage to bring a change in your mom so soon?"

        Abhi explained what had happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flashback

        It was two days before Abhi's sister's death anniversary. Abhi's mother was more depressed than usual and she hadn't eaten anything. Abhi's dad was also unhappy because of it.

When Nandini asked him about it,

        Mr. Takkar : "She has been in depression since we lost our daughter, but she gets more depressed around our daughter's death anniversary. She skips food for days and gets sick too. We have tried a lot to get her out of depression, but it hasn't been of any use."

        Nandini always wished to see people around her happy. So far, she didn't know the reason for Abhi's mother's behavior. She knew they had a daughter and she is no more seeing the garlanded photo. Nandini hadn't asked anyone about it because she didn't want to hurt them. She decided to talk to Abhi's mom and went to her room.

        Nandini : "Aunty, Uncle told me that two days later, it is your daughter's death anniversary and you haven't eaten anything because of that.  It isn't right to remember about your daughter and stay depressed."

        Abhi, who had also come to talk to his mom, was at the door and he overheard her.

        Abhi's thoughts : "Who is she to say what mom can do and what she can't do?"

        Abhi was about to barge in, but stopped after hearing her next statement.

        Nandini : "I am not telling you to stop thinking about her, but getting depressed and not eating isn't right. You know your daughter will be watching you from wherever she is. If she sees her mother like this, her soul won't rest in peace. No daughter will be happy to see her mother depressed thinking about her."

        Nandini : "Uncle and your son have also lost someone dear to them. Imagine what they will be going through when they see another dear one in depression. There are ways to remember your daughter without getting depressed."

        Abhi's mom : "It is easy to tell, but impossible to follow."

        Nandini : "I agree it isn't easy, but it isn't impossible. It may take a few weeks or even a few months, but it is possible."

        Abhi's mom : "You have no idea what I am going through, so leave me alone and go from here."

        Nandini wasn't ready to leave her alone. Normally, she didn't discuss about her past with anyone, but she felt it might encourage Abhi's mom to come out of her depression.

        Nandini : "I can understand how you feel. I have been through the same phase when my parents passed away. I was eight when I lost my parents in an accident. I cried a lot and I even stopped eating thinking that I can go to where my parents are, if they can't come back to me. I fell sick too. I didn't realize that my grandma who loves me a lot was suffering too. She had lost her son and daughter-in-law. On top of that, my behavior was causing her more stress."