Realizations, Broken Hearts, and Foster Homes

Chapter 9
Artemis' Point of View:

As Apollo left, I turned to Alicia and took one look at her face and realized she knew something that she was keeping from us.

"Alicia, what are you hiding?" I asked cautiously.

"Nothing, I just wish that someone would've been able to take in both of you so that Apollo wouldn't be in such a terrible place." Alicia explained.

"Yeah, well if someone had, Ethan and Briley wouldn't have an older brother to look up to." I said trying to make our social worker feel better. I thought carefully about my future. I had a life, I had a chance at happiness and freedom and it was only 2 years away, but in less than a second, it was all ripped away. I didn't deserve this, the two people that cared for me and took me in when my own parents rejected me had died less than 3 hours ago. What kind of sick game was the world playing? I decided not to think about it and instead focused on what Alicia was now saying.

"Artemis, I'm going to put you in the Tanner's home. You'll still be at the same school and in the same town but in a new house. I'm sorry but this is the way it is going to go." Alicia informed me. I nodded and stood up.

"Alicia, are we done here?" I asked, wanting to get out of the miserable atmosphere of the hospital.

"Almost. There's only one more thing. All of your parents money and possesions belong to you, including the house, but the money can't be spent until you're 18 and since there was no will, you own everything." Alicia said. After the day that I've had, knowing that everything that my parents own is going to stay in my possesion is great news. I forced a smile in Alicia's direction before thanking her and heading out the door.

I grabbed my phone and texted Zoe to come pick me up from the hospital and to drive me home. When she got there she asked me what happened and I shrugged, avoiding the subject. I was in too much pain to talk about everything. I looked out the window and felt my heart ache. And that's when I realized something.

The Reynolds were not the only ones that died today. I died too.