Love Love Love and Some Not So Love

Artemis' Point of View

I walked back into the living room to a sight I wasn't prepared for. Zoe and Apollo were hugging in the same way that Zoe had hugged me earlier. It was filled with comfort and love. I sighed quietly. I knew Zoe liked Apollo. I knew that she wanted him and not me. I was just her best friend. "Hey, I-I'm uh gonna go to bed." I said softly before making eye contact with Apollo. He frowned in thought before I turned away and headed up into my room. I laid down on my bed and hugged my pillow to my chest, trying to somehow relieve the ache that had developed there. I heard the door to my room open and shut before feeling the bed sink from a new weight. I pulled my head up from the pillow and looked into the face of my best friend, crush, and person I look up too.

"Hey, Art. You okay?" She asked. No. I wasn't okay. My parents had died, I just found out I had a twin, and now my best friend who I happened to be in love with, has a major crush on my brother. I bit my tongue to keep myself from saying something I was going to regret. "Artemis, what's going on? I mean I get that today has been the worst day of your life but Apollo and I are here for you and we want to make sure you're okay." She said softly. I cringed slightly at "Apollo and I" even though I knew they weren't together.

"Zoe, I'm fine." I said unconvincingly. She tilted her head with a smug look on her face as if she could tell I was lying.

"No, you're not. You have had a hell filled day and telling me that you're okay isn't going to help anyone." She told me. She was right. But I couldn't tell her. If I told her then she'd be forced to break her best friend's heart. She'd be forced to tell me that she doesn't love me back.

"I don't want to talk about it." I said angrily.

"Artemis, you need to talk about this, it's the only way you're going to be able to handle all of this." She said pissing me off even more. The words fell out of my mouth before I could stop them.

"I'm in love with you, okay?!" I yelled back at her. I turned and face planted into the pillow again and did my best to ignore her but her angelic voice kept invading my brain against my will.

"What? What do you mean?" She asked.

"I mean that I like you as more than a friend and seeing you with Apollo killed me because he was the one holding you like that." I explained quickly, completely regretting the past 20 minutes of my life. She looked completely shocked, but I mean who wouldn't be.

"Art, are you-- are you gay?" Zoe asked hesitantly. I shrugged as if this conversation wasn't as important as it was.

"I'm not really sure, all I know is that I love you and you like Apollo and there's nothing I can do about it. It's a reality that I accepted a while ago but sometimes it seriously hurts to see you with anyone else." I explained.

"I love you too Artemis, maybe not in the way that you want me to, but I still love you." Zoe said softly, even though she knew that no matter how nicely she said it, it would still break my heart.

"I'm sorry Zo, I just, I don't want things to get weird between us because right now I need you more than ever." I said, knowing that things were going to get weird no matter what.

"Yeah, it's totally okay that you're gay, bi, whatever. Now once you figure out exactly what it is that you like, let me know so that I can help you find a hot one to help you get over me." She said, sensing my need for the joke. I cracked a smile.

"Will do."