CHAPTER 15 - The New Rule

Start from the beginning

“Thanks Dara!” Her classmates headed out of the lab, leaving her behind. She proceeded with what she’s doing while her mind is preoccupied with many things. After their heated row last night and after Jiro left, she felt quite guilty. Avoiding Jiro and getting riled up because of his past relationship is a bit childish. But her logical thinking is muddled up because of her emotions, so what can she do? Knowing that Riko holds a place in his heart even if it’s in the past and seeing the two together pains her tremendously.

Dara sighed and pushed the unwanted thoughts off her mind, pouring her concentration on finishing the task at hand before the next class comes in. She was almost done washing the lab equipments when she heard someone entering the room

“I’m almost finished. I’m sorry”, she said without glancing at whoever it is; probably a student from the next Chemistry class. Why they have a Chem 101 subject in their curriculum is beyond her. Sure, it’s one of the general subjects together with History and Math but-…

Dara jerked back in surprise when someone suddenly rested his left hand on the edge of the sink while his right hand turned off the faucet. Seeing the dragon tattoo on that hand though, she didn’t feel alarmed. Dara dried her hand with the towel and turned around to face Jiro. With both his hands resting at the edge of the sink, she was trapped between his arms. She dragged her gaze towards his face and their eyes locked. Her eyebrows furrowed seeing how tired he looks. Didn’t he get a good sleep? Is it because of their fight?

“I’ll walk you home later. No more excuses”, Jiro muttered.

She bit her lips and lowered her gaze, fiddling with the hand towel that she was holding.

“Ramirez...” Jiro said exasperatedly, pulling the towel from her grip and throwing it aside. “Talk to me.”

Dara shuffled her feet and stared back at him, thinking of the correct words to say. “A-Are you still mad?”

“Yes.”

“Don’t be mad anymore”, she mumbled and without anything to fiddle, she began buttoning and unbuttoning his jacket uniform.

“I’m not mad at you.”

“You know, Bullet is a nice guy”, she said as she continued playing with the buttons of his jacket.

“He stole a kiss from you”, he growled, his expression becoming dark. “And you said it was not the first time.”

Dara pouted, pondering over something. “You kissed me too”, she mumbled.

“What?”

“You kissed me too…on the shoulder during Bonsai’s birthday party.”

Jiro paused for a while and stared at her with a deadpan expression. “That was different.”

“How was it different?”

“I don’t have any ill intentions towards you. He does”, he reasoned and gripped Dara’s hands, stopping her from fiddling with the buttons of his jacket. “Is that the reason why you’re avoiding me? It won’t happen again. I was just-…” Jiro sighed and averted his gaze. “It won’t happen again”, he said in an almost inaudible voice.