CHAPTER 33 - Revenge

Weeks had passed that felt like years. There were moments when he forgot he had no right to be beside her anymore - moments when he had to remind himself why he had to let go, but it was not an easy task.

Jiro halted his steps and took a sharp intake of breath as Dara walked past her in the hallway, her left wrist wrapped with bandage. He clicked his tongue in frustration, battling with himself if he should approach her or not. A fucking bandage? What the hell happened to her? His worries began mounting as troubling thoughts entered his mind. He spun around and followed the girl, calling her name when he saw Dara descending the stairs of the Arts Building.

"Ramirez", he called out. He saw her stiffen when she heard his voice, and he felt the now familiar pinch in his heart with her reaction towards him.

Dara stopped on one of the steps and glanced back at him, her eyes bearing no emotion other than puzzlement. "Yes?"

"What's that bandage? How did you get injured? What happened?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowing.

"Oh", she raised her arm a bit to look at her wrist. "This is nothing", she replied with disinterest. She then turned around and continued descending, but Jiro quickly followed her and caught up with her again at the bottom of the stairs.

"Ramirez", Jiro called out.

"I'm going to be late for my next class", she muttered without throwing a glance at the guy who was matching her quick pace.

"Wait", Jiro said and gripped her arm to stop her. Dara frowned and faced him, her expression reflecting her exasperation. They had been doing a great job ignoring each other but what is this?

"Jiro-..."

"How did you get injured?"

"Because of my stupidity, okay? Now let go", Dara tried to wiggle free but his grip was unyielding.

"How did it happen?" He asked between gritted teeth, suppressing his annoyance.

"I slipped."

"Why did you slip? Where?"

"There's a burst pipe in my kitchen and I slipped because of the puddle of water on the floor. Can you let go now?"

"Are you taking a medicine? Did you get the pipe fixed? Don't let anyone in your house without-..."

"My God, Jiro! Stop doing this!"

"Doing what?"

"This!" Dara erupted. "Are you doing this because you're worried for me?" She chuckled bitterly and slightly shook her head. "Do you understand our current situation, Jiro?"

He was stunned to silence, his heart aching as realization settled in, but he concealed what he was feeling. In between his pained breaths, the undeniable yearning buried in his chest, he managed to stare at her with a stoic gaze, as if it didn't hurt...as if he was okay.

"I just want to know why you're injured", he said flatly.

Dara sighed heavily and averted her eyes, her arm hanging limply from his grip. "Why do you have to know?" She asked in a quiet voice before dragging her gaze back at him. "You shouldn't be doing this."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want you to", she stated. "You already gave up on me. I told you, you should be responsible for your decision."

"Ramirez, I told you we should stop our relationship, but that doesn't mean I'll stop protecting you."

"Then do it but stay away from me."