CHAPTER 15 - The New Rule

Start from the beginning

“I like it.”

“I’ll text you pictures of my other doodles. Pick one and I’ll give it to you”, he said. Namee lifted her gaze and stared at him. “Really?”

“Yep.”

Just like that, her smile appeared once again. She then went on and about their freshman year; the class that they both attended; and how she admired her talent since she saw him scribbling doodles on his notebook. He doesn’t know why but seeing her cheerful self made him feel relieved.

“By the way, I’m not a hooker. I’m an assistant cook to that club”, he heard her say.

“I see. Rumors got you”, Picaro said quietly.

“Yeah. It sucks.”

“Have you been receiving that kind of letter since then?” He asked when Namee put away her things and closed her locker.

“It was worse before. It was a pile”, she chuckled bitterly. “But because I became friends with Dara, it was reduced to one letter. This one is persistent.”

“Do you know who sent that to you? I can challenge him in the InterSAT bonfire and when I win, I can ask him to stop bothering you.”

“Y-You will do that for me?”

Picaro shrugged his shoulders in response. “I can use a little exercise.”

Namee’s expression softened as she stared at him, grateful at his offer. “It’s okay, forget it. Besides, even if you win, there’s no guarantee that this person will stop.”

“Oh, he will”, he said. “If that guy is a gang member and if I win our duel, he better stop. The InterSAT bonfire this year is different. Those who will have a duel will write what he wants his opponent to do for him if he wins. They will give the paper to the overseer and the duel will only be possible if the two agrees on each other’s demand. Of course, things like money and other ridiculous requests are not accepted. The overseer will make sure of that, otherwise, he will deem the duel invalid and the fight will not commence.”

 “I didn’t know that”, Namee said in awe.

“Yeah. The gangs decided to spice things up for this year’s InterSAT bonfire. Your friend, that Fire 39 leader, better prepare himself.”

“What? Bullet? Did you challenge him?”

“Not me. I think Ice Lord did.”

***

Dara placed the beaker on the sink and faced her classmates. Since she has a vacant hour before her last class, she volunteered to tidy up the lab equipments that they used.

“Go ahead. You’ll be late for your next class. I’ll take care of this”, she said.