Wish You Were Here

Nikki's POV:

The Lynch's invited me to come with them back to L.A. for their show the next evening, but I declined, knowing I would already have a lot of schoolwork to catch up on and I needed to tell my parents everything.

So, after the fireworks ended and we headed back to the parking lot where their bus was, I knew I had to say goodbye not knowing what was going to happen. 

Ross pulled me into a hug and whispered, "I had fun today." 

"Me too," I said into his shoulder.

I broke the hug a couple seconds later, coming to terms that this was probably just a one-day thing. I felt a sense of bitterness towards him, imagining that he did this with many girls, until he turned around halfway across the parking lot and called, "I'll see you."

No matter how vague that comment was, it still meant something. It meant that he not only wanted to see me again, but was planning on it. I smiled and waved as he turned back around and headed for his tour bus.

---------------------

I closed the door quietly and made my way down the hall and into the living room where my mom was watching t.v. on the couch. I knew my dad was already asleep upstairs.

"Hi Mama," I sat down on the couch next to her, "you won't believe what happened to me today." I was really excited to tell someone, even if that meant getting in a bit of trouble for it.

"Tell me later, alright?" she stood up and sleepily rubbed her eyes, "I'm going to bed."

"Alright." I whispered disappointedly after she left. I sat staring blankly at the tv for a few minutes. So I was right. They didn't care where I'd been all day. And it wasn't like I did this often. After school, I would always come straight home, study, eat dinner, go to bed, and repeat every day. They always expected me to be there, but I never thought they wouldn't care if I just didn't show up one night.

I clicked the tv off and silence pierced the room. They probably wouldnt've even noticed if I had gone with the Lynch's to LA for a few days.

I buried my head in my hands and curled up in a ball, feeling so many emotions at the same time and not knowing what to do about any of them.

---------------------

I woke up the next morning realizing I had fallen asleep on the couch. I got ready for school then took a seat on a stool at the island in my kitchen. My mom was making herself a cup of coffee when I came in.

"Goodmorning," I said as I poured myself a bowl of cereal.

"Hi, honey," she didn't look up from the email she was typing out on her phone.

"So, about yesterday," I felt my cheeks blush and a smile creep on my face when the memories of the day came back to me. "I went over to Seaport Village with-..."

I was interrupted by her phone ringing. She held up a finger gesturing for me to wait as she took the call. After realizing that it was someone from work, she started ranting about something that wasn't done right and how that person needed to be fired ASAP.

I rolled my eyes and glanced at the clock above the stove. It was time to go anyway. I pushed my bowl of cereal away, grabbed my backpack, and rushed out the door, slamming it behind me.

Ross texted me during first period when I was sitting in my calculus class. "Hi. How are you?" It read.

"Better now," I typed back underneath the table, trying to be discreet.

"Haha are you in class?"

"Yes. Trying to make it look like I'm paying attention while trying to write a coherent text message. It's harder than it sounds."