Everything Has Changed

Nikki's POV:

I stuffed the letter back into the envelope and tucked it in my back jeans pocket, pulling out my phone and sending a quick text to Ash. I took a few steady breaths and headed out the door.

I reached Ashley's house in 10 minutes. She met me on the front porch, holding out the keys to her car. "Thank you," I sighed, "I owe you." I gave her a hug.

"Anytime," she gave me a warm smile. "Just fill me in later, ok?"

I nodded as I hopped in her car. I hadn't told her yet. I hadn't told anyone, actually. I knew what I wanted to do. It just broke my heart to have to do it.

The band had a show last night in Arizona but were staying there tonight before heading to another city tomorrow. Arizona-7 hours from my house. I didn't even care. I had to have this conversation with him and it had to be in person.

I had texted Rydel on my way over to Ashley's house, asking where exactly they were staying tonight. I didn't want him to know I was driving all the way there. I knew it would only worry him and I didn't want that. She texted back giving me the address of a hotel, plus Ross's room number.

The drive was brutal. I had the same conversation in my head over and over, predicting what he would say and what exactly I would say. I ran through every possible scenario I could think of, but I had a feeling that it wouldn't be anything like what I expected.

I reached the hotel at 9 p.m. I was already exhausted.

I entered the lobby and took the stairs two at a time. Although I wasn't relatively excited about what I came here to talk to him about, I was excited to see him. It's been a month and a half.

I held my breath and knocked on the door, staring at the room number I knew was his. 5 long seconds later, it swung open.

When he saw me, I watched as a smile spread wide across his lips. "What are you doing here?" His face was pure shock.

"Surprise!" I tried my best to sound enthusiastic and like nothing was wrong.

"Come in, come in," he gestured for me to enter his room.

As soon as the door was closed behind me, he pulled me into a huge hug, his strong arms wrapping around me. Both of us not wanting to let go, he easily picked me up, my feet lifting off the ground. I didn't object. I felt his lips on my neck then he pulled his head back to find my lips. He lifted me higher off the ground and I felt my legs wrap around his waist, his hands on my thighs, as my lips fell into sync with his.

I easily got lost in the moment for a few minutes, forgetting the real reason I came here. I couldn't remember exactly what it was, however, until he spoke first.

"Nik?" he asked in between kisses.

"Hmmm?" I asked, not paying much attention.

"What's this?" I felt his hand brush my back jeans pocket and the letter slip out into his hand.

He broke the kiss and I pulled my head away. I sighed. "That's actually the reason I came here tonight." I stared at the envelope in his hand, heart beating fast and breaths uneven from the kissing.

Slowly realizing that something was up with me, his expression turned worried as I untangled myself from his embrace and he set me lightly on the ground.

I adjusted my shirt and pushed a few strands of hair out of my eyes. "I have something I need to tell you." I began.

I wandered deeper into the room and slowly made my way over to one of two twin beds, but didn't sit down. I was too nervous; I had to stand.