Chapter 28- End Of An Era

"I can't do this," Spinel mutters, anxiously pulling on her pigtails. 

"We've talked about this, Spinel. No turning back now."

"Can't I just do it next year? I mean, what if it's too soon?"

"Yo, make a decision." Amethyst leans back in her seat, folding her arms over her chest. Papers are sprawled out across the table in Steven's house, shreds of paper disregardfully thrown onto the floor. Spinel runs a hand through her hair as she paces around relentlessly. "It has to be perfect. What if I- no, that wouldn't work. Maybe..." She trails off, falling back into the couch with a heavy sigh. "I don't know about this, Steven. We've spent hours trying to think of the perfect plan and scenario." She buries her face in her hands. "Calm down, Spinel. You love Y/N, and Y/N loves you. It'll all work out. Whatever happens, happens." He flashes her a reassuring smile. She returns it, glancing at her hands. A flash of light interrupts the atmosphere, Garnet appearing and stepping off of the warp pad. "It's time." She smirks as she exchanges a look with Spinel, as the pink gem hurries out the door to your house

"Spinel!" You run up and pull her into an embrace as she stands still for a moment. She pauses for a moment, almost too long, before reluctantly wrapping her arms around your waist. You retract in concern. "Is something wrong...?" She meets your eyes for a quick moment, then breaks eye contact. "Nothin'. Everything's fine, love. I was just with Steven, talking about-" She cuts herself off and doesn't say anything else. She sees the concern in your eyes and swiftly changes the subject. "So, you know how it's our first anniversary?"

You nod, "Yeah. It came so fast. Feels like just yesterday you were abducted by the diamonds."

"That was 7 months ago, love. Not my greatest memory."

"Right. Anyway, you were saying...?"

"For our anniversary, I was thinking that we could take a walk on the beach tonight."

"Sure."

A smile tugs at the sides of her lips. She digs in her pocket, seemingly searching for something. She lets out a small sigh of relief, takes your hand, and heads out of the door. The two of you walk across the moonlit beach, fingers intertwined. You talk the night away; though she's mostly quiet, glancing to the side from time to time and never making eye contact with you. 

"Okay." You abruptly stop walking, taking a seat on the sand and patting the space beside you. She sits a distance away and tucks her knees up to her chest. "What's going on, Spins?"

"...Everything's okay," She lifts your chin and gives you a reassuring, quick kiss. 

"No, it's not."

"You know me too well." She lays a head on your shoulder, meeting your gaze. "You know I love you, right?"

"You tell me that every day," You snicker.

"I know, but... it's not just talk. I love you. A lot."

Heat creeps up your cheeks as they stain a bright red hue. You wrap an arm around her, directing your gaze to the moon. "Love you too." You mutter. She stands, holding out her hand to help you up. She tugs on her hair, her eyes bouncing around with uncertainty. She takes your hand in both of hers, taking in a shaky breath.

"Y/N, when I first came to your planet, vengeance, and justice was all I longed for. I couldn't see any further than that. Still, to this day, I don't know what you saw in me. You made me feel at home, always. You still do. Even though we've been together for a year, it's the little things that remind me of how much I love you. Whatever time we have left, I want to spend it with you and only you." 

She takes a knee, removing a velvet box from her pocket. She clicks it open, revealing a small, simplistic ring embroidered with barely visible pink gems.

"Y/N L/N, will you marry me?"

You're rendered completely speechless, not quite processing the situation. When it registers, tears spring in the corner of your eyes, and you let them fall. Her smile falters for a moment before you throw your arms around her. Your lips meet hers as the ring falls out of her palm and onto the sand. Between kisses, she mutters, "Is that... a yes?"

"Yes!" You exclaim, pressing her forehead against yours. Joyful tears are falling from both of you, and you stand in each other's arms, not sure how long you two were there.

"So that's why you were so nervous!" You tease. 

"Oh, stop," She blinks away a tear, picking up the ring box. She slips it on to your finger. It fits perfectly.

"How do you like the ring?" Her eyes twinkle with anticipation, your hand resting in hers.  The small gems are illuminated by the moon's light. Everything starts to fall into place for you two. It's completely silent except for the waves colliding with the shore, giving you a moment to take in the situation. You lock eyes with Spinel, a magenta blush visible even in the faint lighting. You look back down at your ring; everything is finally perfect for you two. There's nowhere to go but up.

"I love it."

-So this is the technical finale of the book. It wasn't canceled or any shit like that, this was always how it was supposed to end. I'll have a few bonus chapters, then it'll finally be complete. I'll talk more about what's coming next in the final chapter. This specific story is over, but there's a lot more Spinel fic ideas I've got in mind, so get ready to read more of my shit lmao. Thanks for reading.-