Chapter 11 - Downwards Spiral

-Almost 1K reads? That was way unexpected lmao. I'm so grateful for all of the support, I'm going through a pretty rough time right now and you have no idea how much the kind comments and votes motivate me. Thanks again, loves.-

"That sounds bad,"

"That looks bad,"

"That is bad! We're hitting critical mass,"

Peridot reported, voice uneasy with stress. 

"Then I guess we're just in time,"

You stated, approaching the trio. Peridot's eyes glazed over all of you before shaking her head in bewilderment.

"Steven, Y/N! What's the status on Spinel?"

"She's back," Still interlocking hands with you, Spinel appeared from behind you, giving you a deliberate nod. "And she's here to help." You added, tension releasing from the trio's shoulders. 

--------------------------------------

The team was ecstatic that the threat had been resolved, sharing cheerful grins and high-fives. 

"Thanks, Spinel."

"Aw, gee. What are friends for?" She sheepishly chuckled. She scratched the back of her head as her cheeks flushed a slightly darker pink.

"Alright. Now we just need Steven's powers and Garnet's memories.."

Steven smiled wearily, a twinge of hope glistening in his eyes.

"We can all get back to living happily ever after. What could work for Garnet? Something about fusion, something about love..."

"What about me?"

You both turned to her, your eyes filling with concern.

"Is that all you two needed me for? To turn off my injector?"

"Well... yeah."

You placed a hand on his shoulder, slightly irritated by how blunt and arrogant his tone was. 

"Spinel, he doesn't mean tha-"

"Well, what now? I did what you wanted... that's it?"

"Yeah. We can all just forget this ever happened."

"Steven, stop-"

"How you gonna forget with me around? I'm the source of all your problems. Don't pretend you want me here. What's your plan for me, huh? You gonna put me somewhere? You gonna leave me... somewhere? You gonna leave me alone?"

She clutched her gem tightly, hands trembling in uneasiness. You carefully stepped towards her, trying to calm her down.

"Spinel..."

She startlingly pushed you away in anxiety, causing your back to hit the grass harshly, rejuvenator tumbling out of your pocket. Pearl and Amethyst yelped and stepped away from the device. Garnet stayed where she was, innocently picking up the small weapon.

"What's this?"

You hastily brought yourself back to your feet, wrenching the weapon from her hands as she looked you up and down in perplexion.

"Garnet, don't touch that."

"Why do you... have that...?" Her eyebrows furrowed in genuine pain and fear.

"I... didn't have anywhere else to put it."

"...We can just forget this ever happened..." Her mouth twisted into a painful smirk, "You mean I can just forget this ever happened! Hahahaha-wow! What a plan! I turn off the injector, and the moment my back is turned, BAM! Presto! Changeo! Problem solved!" She pointed an accusatory finger at you. "Well, think again. You're not getting rid of me that easy!"
She drilled the injector back into the ground as it shook the floor around you. Debris flew at you from multiple directions, a rock slashing your face, leaving a deep, long cut across the bridge of your nose. You winced in pain. (Yes, this was just an excuse to give reader a badass scar. You're welcome.)

Her injector created a significant crater in the ground, leaving you and your brother separated in the rubble. You coughed and rubbed your eyes, clearing them of dust.

"I'm not letting you get one over on me, Y/N L/N. You know, it's kinda funny... You're even worse than your brother. At least he didn't have to guys to pretend to give a shit about me."

"I wasn't going to wipe your memory, Spinel! You know I care about y-"

"Shut up! You expect me to believe that you want me like THIS?"

"Y/N?"

You avert your gaze quickly, seeing Garnet, eyes filled with sincerity and unsettlement.

"Why are you fighting? Aren't we all friends?"

"Looks like we've still got an audience. How about a front-row seat?" She slithers her arms around Garnet disturbingly.

"Garnet!"

"You know, this is pretty twisted, but I'm a little flattered you like the old me. Innocent, loving, stupid. But if that's your thing, why don't you leave her like this?"

You clutch the rejuvenator, hands trembling in fear.

"Spinel... I..." You shake your head, regaining your composure. "Let her go."

"Oh, you're so protective of your real friends, and you're so CARELESS with your fake ones!"

"Stop!"

"Then stop me! You wanna attack me, just admit it!"

"....No!"

"Why not?!"

"Because that's not the truth!"