Chapter 1 - Happily Ever After

"Steven!"

You and Connie both beamed in unison, her running up to embrace him. "What took so long?" She inquired, receiving a loud sigh from Steven. "The diamonds," he grunted. "They want to smother him with attention 24/7. Trust me, I've seen it firsthand." You chimed in sarcastically. "Y/N's right. I would've gone insane if they tried to dress me in Pink's clothes again," He earned a small chuckle from the two of you. Steven and Connie walked out the door, hand in hand. You decided to give them some time alone. You turned your attention to the hibiscus flowers in the corner. You delicately ran your fingertips over them, softly picking one from the bush. You recalled the first time you'd met your half-brother, Steven.

 You were only 5; not understanding the concept of death in the slightest. You looked down at the half-human hybrid with emotionless eyes, watching, waiting for Rose to come back. "Hey, Mom, I know you're trapped in this baby, but can you come out? Please," You whined. You felt a cold hand on your shoulder. "Don't be rude to your little brother, Y/N." You looked up at your adoptive father, Greg. "Dad... It's not fair. This baby and I will never be actual siblings. You two raised me as your own, but him..." You ran your fingers along the boy's cold, sleek gem. "He gets to be a real part of this family." Greg went silent for a moment. "That's not true, squirt. You'll always be a part of our family. Blood-related or not," he reassured you. "Mom would understand..." You murmured, quietly sinking into the corner of the van.

You dropped the hibiscus flower, your eyes glossed over with pain as your lips twisted into a sad smile. "Mom would understand..." You whispered under your breath, making your way out of the glass dome.

You stood in the doorway to see a blushing Steven, watching Connie disappear over the balcony. You smirked sharply as he noticed you in the doorway. You walked over to him, rusting your arms on the rails. "Here we are in the future," He started, watching a butterfly swirl around him. You joined, "Here we are in the future and it's bright...."

"Nothing to fear, no one to fight..."

"I can't believe we've come so far!" You smiled at your brother.

"Happily ever after, here we are!"

Steven started to serenade his struggles in the past year. You followed suit.

"Once upon a time I never thought I'd never be in a real family

Always thought I'd be scared, confused, thinking no one cared for me

Surrounded by those who didn't love me

Who never bothered to treat me properly

But now I know there's nowhere else I'd rather be

Now I see,"

You turned to your brother, "Here we are in the future!"

*Timeskip*

------

You sat on the grass with your knees curled up to your chest, watching the blue sky. "I want everything to stay like this and never change," He smiled, closing his eyes. Sounds of approval came from all of the gems, including you. "How's the future look, Garnet? Do we all stay like this forever?" You asked, not tearing your eyes away from the sky. Garnet adjusted her visor with a sharp smile.

"No...!"