Chapter 23 - Call You Mine

I think you all deserve a heads up, there's going to be a major bombshell dropped at the end of Tuesday's chapter, emotionally prepare yourself because it's going to be one hell of a ride

"I shouldn't have come." Amethyst lags behind the group, her voice stinging with annoyance.

"It's not that bad." Steven has a hand around Connie's waist, another in his pocket.

"He's right, Amethyst," Garnet smirks.

"It's not our fault you're single," Peridot remarks, fingers intertwined with Lapis'.

"Yeah. Lighten up a bit." You flash her a small smile, an arm around Spinel's shoulder.

The seven of you walk across the boardwalk, the warm sunlight of dusk lowering below the horizon. Night breaks, the sky a perfect blend of violet and crimson hues. "Ugh. You all are so gross in your couples." She snickers, "Right, Pearl?" She casts a glance to the side, seeing Pearl sitting on a bench with a tall, pink-haired figure. "What the hell?" She pinches the bridge of her nose, trailing behind the group. "Guys, the Ferris wheel! The sun is setting; it'll be beautiful," Steven gestures to the Ferris wheel, taking Connie's hand and practically dragging her towards it. 

"Steven was right," she mumbles, looking over the seat, watching the sunset. "Earth is beautiful."

"Isn't it?" You take her hand in yours, looking over the horizon with her. She turns to you abruptly, eyes sparkling with anticipation.

"Hey. Thanks, for...everything." She mutters, breaking eye contact

"Of course," You smile, sending a dark pink blush to her cheeks.

"You're amazing."

"I know, you tell me that every day." You chuckle, but her expression remains serious.

"I want you to know I mean it. Listen, I..." She hesitates for a moment, then continues. "I know you didn't have to get to know me, but you did. You didn't have to put up with me, but you did." She takes your hands and presses them against her gem, giving you a small, flustered smile. "That's only part of what makes you so amazing, Y/N. I don't know where I'd be right now if it weren't for you. We've been through so much together, and I... can't express in words how you make me feel. Each day I find a new part of you to admire, and I'm so lucky to call you mine. I...

I love you, Y/N."

You're left at a loss for words, staring at her, mouth slightly agape. Your face flushes bright red as your words catch in your throat. Your eyes gloss over with tears.

"D-Doll? Why are you crying?"

You throw your arms around her neck as she flinches slightly, but returns the embrace almost instantly.

"Woah, hey, Y/N. I know my speech was moving, but-"

"I love you!" You sob into her shoulder as she gently rubs circles in your back.

"I was hoping you'd say that," she mutters, wrapping her arms around you several times. You don't know how long you two stay there, but it's just enough for the sky to darken into a deep blue, the moon hanging over you two.

You practically fall to the floor out of exhaustion, leaning against the door.

"I'm glad we're home. I'm so drained," You sigh, running your hands through your hair. "Don't think I'm done with you yet, dollface," She smirks, pressing you against the door. Her lips meet yours before you have the chance to speak. You reach up and twirl a finger around her hair, your other hand meeting her waist. The two of you wander over to your couch, not breaking the kiss. "I love you." She mutters between gentle kisses, running a hand through your hair.  An urgent knock at your door interrupts the moment as you two immediately pull away as you scramble to open the door. Steven's on the other side of the door, forehead beaded with sweat. He looks about ready to fall over, his eyes wide with restlessness.

"... Steven? Are you okay?" You place a hand on his shoulder, eyebrows furrowing in concern. He gives you a single nod. "The diamonds... they- I have to-"

"Slow down. What's going on?"

"The diamonds are here, I tried to talk to them, I- I need to borrow Spinel."

Spinel appears beside you, raising a single eyebrow.

"Steven? What's happening?"

"I don't have time. I'll explain on the way there." He harshly grabs Spinel's hand. 

"Wait! You can't just-"

She glances at you with a look an apologetic, unsure smile. You stand alone in the doorway as Steven drags Spinel away as you stand oblivious to what's to come.