Chapter 5 - No Matter What

You hummed softly, still walking around Beach City, looking for Amethyst. You trailed slightly behind Steven, Spinel holding onto your arm."You're good at that." You stopped humming, hearing Spinel's voice. "...At humming?" You questioned, raising an eyebrow. "Yeah! Do you sing?" You paused. "I don't. I've been a backup singer for Sadie Killer And The Suspects, but I've never really-"

"Could you sing for me?"

Your cheeks flushed red, as you cleared your throat, preparing to sing.

"I guess I'll have to face,

That in this awful place,

I shouldn't show a trace of doubt

But pulled against the grain

I feel a little pain

That I would rather do without,

You took a deep, shaky breath.

"I'd rather be free..."

You hit the notes with skillful perfection, calming down slightly as you closed your eyes and continued softly,

"Free...

I'd rather be free...

Free, free.

From here."

You sighed, opening your eyes and meeting with Spinel's. "How was I...?"

She mumbled breaking eye contact, cheeks stained with a magenta hue.

"I don't know... you're just kinda..."

She rests her head against your shoulder, nuzzling into the crook of your neck.

"Perfect."

You paused, shaking your head slightly. "....What did you just say?"

"You're just so nice and pretty... ya make me feel better, even though I'm 'posed to be your best friend."

You were bright red once she'd finished.

"S-Spinel, I-"

You took a double-take behind you, eyes flickering to Vidalia's art studio. "Steven!" You gestured to her garage, your half-brother nodding in approval as you 3 shuffled into the garage.

"What is this place?"

"An art studio. Vidalia, Amethyst and I used to spend a lot of time here. Wonder where she- Ah!" You yelped, stumbling backward as a familiar painting's eyes moved. Amethyst tumbled back, reverting to her original form. "Amethyst!" You smiled, pulling her up to her feet. "Thank goodness you're okay." She paused for a few beats, then repeated what you'd said. "Thank goodness you're okay." You sighed tiredly. "I'm very not okay... I'm gonna get you back though. Do you remember our handshake?" She shifted into you. "Our handshake?"

"Singing and dancing... that's got to be a piece. Do you remember singing and dancing with us?" Steven chimed in, flicking on the lights. 

"In the dark of the night

In the light of the day,"

You continued after Steven.

"When you're rarin' to go,

When you're tired from the fight

When you're losin' your mind

Let me give you a thought,"

Miraculously, your brother began to tap dance in sandals. You extended your arm to pull Amethyst up. You and Steven both sang in unison,

"I'm gonna be right by your side, no matter what!"

*Small time skip to a bit later because I am not typing up all those lyrics.*

"Through whoever you've been,"

"Through whoever you'll be,"

"Through whatever you lose,"

"You will always have me,"

"At the end of your rope,"

"I'll be holding you taut,"

"I'm gonna be right by your side, no matter what,

Be right by your side,

Be right by your side, no matter what..."

The 3 of you starred over the endless horizon, Spinel trailing slightly behind. 

"Pew!"

You turned sharply to your brother, eyes widening in realization.

"...Pew, pew?"

She glanced at her hand, gaze moving up and flickering between the two of you.

"One... Two... Three... Hup!"

"...Amethyst!"