Chapter 21 - Everything Stays

"Spinel?" You call, frantically opening all of the doors in your house. You pace around aimlessly, running a hand through your hair. You hadn't been able to find her for the whole night, your mind spiraling into assumptions. "Where are you, Spins?" You mutter, desperately dialing digits into your phone.

"Steven?"

"Y/N? What's up?" He inquires, his voice grainy through the phone. "S-Spinel's gone. I can't find her anywhere. I've looked on the boardwalk, I just can't find her. I'm starting to worry, Steven." There's a long pause of silence. "...You there?"

"Walk across the shore. You'll find her," is all he states before hanging up, leaving you in a bewildered daze. You shove open your door, eyes scanning the shoreline before a small candlelight catches your eye. You sprint towards it, running across the moonlit beach, before stopping dead in your tracks once you recognize the figure. There's a small table, completes with roses neatly placed in a vase in the middle. Spinel leans back in her seat, another chair sitting right across from her. Her hair falls over her shoulders and to her waist, her bright pink hair let down. She hums "Found" softly, fiddling with the tablecloth. She's dressed in a suit. Spinel. In a suit.

"You can join me one you're done starin', love." She stands and elegantly pulls out your seat. Unable to form words, you fall back into the seat, eyes still darting around, trying to register the situation. "I just thought if we were officially dating, why not have a real date? You know, the works."

"You- I- I don't even- This is- You did all of this for me?"

She nods.

"I..." Words catch in your throat as tears stung in the corners of your eyes, threatening to spill out of your eyes. Spinel's eyebrows furrow in concern.

"H-Hey... Doll? Please don't cry. I'm so sorry. I never would have done this if I knew-"

"No, it's beautiful. I love it... I don't deserve this," You mumble, wiping tears from your eyes. She's up and out of her seat, kneeling beside you.

"Hey. Look at me. You deserve the world. No more tears, okay?" She removes a strand of hair from your face, her magenta eyes meeting yours. You give her a single nod. She picks a rose from the vase, pressing it in your palms. "Let's just talk tonight, alright?"

The two of you talk away the night, chatting endlessly as the full moon hovers over both of you. You two find yourselves sitting on the shore, a blanket wrapped around you two. Your fingertips barely touch the water as the waves crash softly against the shore.

"Oh, Spinel, It's a shooting star. You make a wish on those," You rest your head against her shoulder, the both of you sitting in silence as it passes by. 

"What'd you wish for?"

"If I told ya, it wouldn't come true, would it?" She winks, staring back into the sky. She does a double-take, catching your eyes again. 

"What...?"

"...Nothin'. You're beautiful."

A blush burns across your cheeks. "Your hair's down... it's stunning," You return the compliment,  a blushing mess. She tucks some hair out of her face. 

"Ya think so? I never really liked it like this..."

"And ever since I saw you tonight, I've been waiting to kiss you."

"I'm all yours, dollface." You cup her face in your hands, pressing her lips against yours. They move against yours with certainty, her confidence slipping away slightly as you melt into eachother. You pull away for air before your lips meet again as she pushes you against the sand. You two share soft, quick kisses, both falling onto the sand beside eachother. You hum a quiet tune, wrapping your arms around her waist. "What are ya humming?"

"Just a song. I think you'd like it, actually." You take a deep breath in and begin to sing, your voice soft and quiet against the crashing waves.

"Let's go in the garden,

You'll find something waiting,

Right there where you left it,

Lying upside down,

When you finally find it,

You'll see how it's faded,

The underside is lighter when you turn it around,"

You look up at Spinel for a reaction, her expression unreadable. She mumbles something quietly, wrapping you in her arms. She plants a soft kiss to your hair. "You're amazing, you know that?" She mutters, pulling you closer. "So are you."

"Night, doll."

"Night, Spins."