Chapter 22 - Just A Dream

I'll be switching to third person for a portion of this chapter, I'll give a small heads up when it ends.

"Here In the garden, let's play a game."

Spinel's magenta eyes dart around trying to register the situation. Panic consumes her, letting out a small gasp as she realizes where she is.

"The garden? Pink? No, I was just with Y/N..."

"I'll Show you how it's done."

"Wh- Pink? What's going on? Why am I here again? I was just-"

"Here in the garden, stand very still."

Pink flashes Spinel as an unconvincing smile, her finger brushing over the tip of Spinel's nose. The fuschia eyed-gem shakes her head, tears springing at the corner of her eyes.

"Pink, I- why is this happening again?"

The diamond stands, walking in Spinel's opposite direction, completely ignoring her.

"W-Wait! No! Don't go! Not again!"

She steps onto the warp pad and flashes out of her vision and out of her life.

"Please, no..." She takes a step forward and falls to the ground, harshly hitting the floor. She rubs her eyes, tilting her head up, eyes sparkling with anticipation and relief once she sees a familiar face.

"Y-Y/N! I'm so glad you're here. I-I don't know what's happening, I-"

"You're so clingy," The E/C eyed-figure interrupts in a monotonous tone.

"...What?"

"What's wrong with you?"

"I-"

"I can see why Pink left you in that garden. Look at you. Look at what you've done."

"Y/N, what are you talking about...?" Spinel's voice cracks halfway through, choking on a sob.

"You're a mess. A needy, emotional train wreck of a gem. I'm abandoning you. Go find someone else to annoy." The human remarks, shooting Spinel a look of distaste, eyes void of emotion. 

"Y/N! Don't go, please! Please, no! I-I'm sorry! Don't leave, not again, please!"

Y/N's glare is sharp with disgust as they turn their head, wandering into a void, disappearing from Spinel's vision. She's silent, a sinking feeling of emptiness consuming her. Tears spill heavily out of her eyes, mumbling your name a few times, unable to move. Her eyes are wide with horror as she trembles violently, your words playing repeatedly in her mind, drowning out her surroundings.

What's wrong with you?

Go find someone else to annoy.

I'm abandoning you.

*2nd Person*

You stir awake in the middle of the night, your eyes adjusting to the darkness. "Hey, Spins, are you-" Panic surges through you as you realize she's not sleeping beside you. You instantly sit upright, stumbling out of your room in a sleep-deprived daze.

"Spinel!" You find her sitting on the steps up to your house and take a step towards her, immediately retracting one you realize what kind of state she's in. She's tugging on her hair, practically ripping strands out. She's silent except for her quiet sobs as she's surrounded in a puddle of tears. Her limbs lay messily scattered around, mumbling something between sobs.

"Spins! Are you okay?" You throw your arms around her as she sits still. She chokes on her tears, giving you a small, weak smile.

"I've had better days," she sighs, her voice breaking. "I'm fine."

"No, you're not."

She pauses, visibly conflicted, before pulling you into a tight embrace. She holds you like it's the last time she ever will, breaking down in your arms. "I'm sorry," she mumbles into your shoulder. "Please don't go." You pull back from the hug, cupping her face in your hands and kissing away her tears.

"I'm not going anywhere," you whisper, wiping away the last of her tears. 

"I just had this dream, and, you-" She stops herself abruptly, burying her face in her hair. "I can't believe I'm falling apart over this," She lets out a small laugh, pulling on her hair. "I'm so stupid." You press a finger to her lips, a blush spreading across her cheeks.

"That's not true, Spins. We all come with baggage. We all break down sometimes."

"You're incredible." She locks her fingers with yours, laying her head against your shoulder. "How could you ever have feelings for someone like me?"

"How could I not? You're the one who's incredible."

"I suck," She snickers, rolling her eyes.

"Of course not." You stand, helping her up. "You're a gem. I'm just... me."

"That's what makes you incredible. You're you. There's a lot of Spinel's out there."

"None of them are like you, I bet." She rubs the back of her neck sheepishly, her face flushing a dark pink.

"Uh, Y/N?"

"Yeah?"

"Going back to sleep is the last thing I want to do right now, so-"

You nod towards the TV. "Camp Pining Hearts?"

"You know it."