{8}

John's P.O.V

I imagine death so much it feels more like a memory... these are the words he said. Of anything else he could've picked he chose that.

Never thought I'd live past twenty, where I come from some get half as many... Now that I think about it, where is Alex from? He obviously isn't Americain. Was it so bad he imagined death so much?

It's currently past midnight, although I can't seem to sleep. I try drawing to distract myself from my own mind. But, no matter how hard I try I couldn't seem to get Alex out of my head. Earlier today in the music room, the way he would shut his eyes tight while shouting into the microphone, his hair shaking and bouncing furiously trying to escape the confinements of his elastic, the way his lips curled and a blush crossed his face every time we made eye contact.

WAIT! He couldn't be gay could he? What am I thinking, of course he isn't. Cute guys like that never are....Shut up Laurens don't think of that right now. I'm still curious about his choice of words earlier. Meh, might ask him later. I look down at my page, I had been subconsciously drawing, none other than a certain Carrabean boy.

Damn

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wake up later than usual, noticing this I quickly rush downstairs. Where I see my eldest sister, Martha, serving up breakfast for my other three, Henry Jr, James and Mary. Martha was in 8th grade, Henry and James were in 6th and Little Mary was only in 1rst grade. Since they're still in elementary school, they all start an hour later than me. So on days like this, Martha cooks breakfast for the four of them.

I look around and see our father passed out on the couch, I'm not surprised. It's a usual occurrence for him to come home late, wasted. I feel bad leaving Martha alone this morning, even if she's said many time she doesn't mind.

"John? I thought you already left." Martha says to me confused. I give her an awkward smile and she hands me a sandwich. "Eat up."

I give her a quick hug then turn to my other siblings and do the same not without planting a kiss on the top of Mary's head. The 6 year old giggles and kisses the tip of my nose.

"See you when you get home Jacky." she murmurs giving me one more hug. I nod then rush out the door hollering.

"THANKS FOR THE SANDWICH!"

I love my brothers and sisters to pieces, I just wish I could give them a better life. My mother passed away six years ago, while having Mary and my father never recovered. He leaves in the middle of the day and comes back at assured hours of the night pissed drunk, he doesn't even acknowledge Mary's existence. He barely talks to my brothers, the twins, who have been having an extremely hard time ever since the incident. Then he expects Martha and I to pick up all the shattered pieces he's left behind.

I burst through the front doors to the school and surprisingly I'm 5 minutes early. I'm walking to my locker when I see a crowd formed around what seems to be a fight. Herc and Laf are probably upstairs so I can rule them out of the equation. I get closer behind a couple rows of students and can tell that one of the figures is Thomas Jefferson, who seems to be pinning someone against the lockers.

"Did you really think that yellow freak helped you?" The other boy just choked out a staggered breath. Was Jefferson talking about Peggy? "Nothing in this world can help you, you bastard whores-son."

"Fuck off Jeffershit, no one gives a fuck about you or your opinion." That was Alex. Why was Tomas acting this way. Anyways, all it took was for him to raise his fist, ready to strike.

"Oh now you're in for it."

I pushed through the crowd of teenagers who just simply stood back and recorded this all. Alex's face comes into view and I see him wincing, anticipating the impact of Thomas' fist. But I wasn't going to let that happen. I pulled Jefferson off of Alex and tackled him to the floor, Alex fell to the floor gasping and coughing. I manage to pin Thomas to the floor, the crown around us is shouted something along the line of finish him off. I'm not going to fall to Jeffershits level, I'm too good for that.

"If you so much as think about laying a hand on him, you're dead." I growled as low as I could inches away from Thomas' face. For a second I could see the fear in his eyes. "Do you understand?" There was no response from the virginian so I tightened the grip I had on his forearms which I was holding beside his head.

"Yes... I understand." I let go of him and he scurried off, pushing past the crowd to where James Madison was trying to calm him down. After a few seconds they were both out of sight and the crowd had dispersed. I Hurry down, crouching by Alex who was now sitting back against the lockers with his head leaning on his knees. I see his shoulders begin to shake and I think he's crying. But then he raises his head revealing a giant smile, he was laughing?

"Why'd you help me, I had him right where I wanted him." Alex cheerfully managed out.

"Oh couldn't you tell I just wanted to steal your thunder." I replied, sending back his same energy.

"I knew it." Alex gasped accusingly in fake shock, placing one hand dramatically over his cheast.

"Wow what a drama queen." I retaliated, standing up and offering him a hand onto his feet.

"That's right the fairest of them all." Alexander takes my hand and pulls himself up. His balance is a bit off so I put my arm around his shoulders, He follows suit wrapping an arm around my torso.

"You sure you don't need to see the nurse?" I asked, genuine concern lacing my words. Alex just scrunches his nose and shakes his head.

"Nah, I've been through worse." He deadpans. "Thank you though. I would be a bleeding mess without you."

And deep down I know that's true. "Anytime. If you need anything, text me, call me doesn't matter. I'll be there."

"Thanks. John"

"Don't even mention it 'Lex." He blushes at the nickname, we smile to each other and head off to art class.