{6}

Alexanders P.O.V

Once in my first period class, I sit in the same place I did yesterday, behind Eliza. 10 minutes into the class John bursts through the door panting as if he had just run a marathon.

"Laurens, you're late." Mr. Adams calls from his desk, clearly agitated.

"Chillax, I know you love me." John replies with a goofy grin, only getting an eye roll from the teacher.

I wave John over, pointing to the empty chair next to me. John was over in seconds, quickly emptying a ton of art supplies onto his desk. People glanced over once in a while to see what all the noise was about. But other than that, we weren't paid much attention to. I kept my focus on the assignment(which was the same as yesterdays. Is it just me or does this teacher barely do his job), although every now and then I found my gaze drifting towards what he was drawing. It only lasted a few seconds until I scolded myself for being easily distracted. After realising this had been happening, I gave in and took a peek.John had drawn a picture of a turtle, using copic markers, blending an array of greens and blues yet somehow incorporating dark browns and reds.

"John, that's amazing." I whisper, He looks over suddenly and smiles.

"Thanks, I have a turtle at home her name is Shelly."

"You're really talented." I look into his eyes and a blush tints his skin a wonderful pinkish heuw. John chuckles and turns back to his paper.

"Well practice makes perfect."

And with that the air around us was once again filled with a comfortable silence.

English was uneventful and boring, the teacher was talking the entire class and Would yell at me every time I tried to write. I couldn't seem to get Johns drawing out of my head, the thought of it was so peaceful and relaxing. The relief I felt hearing the bell ring to third period was incomparable. Knowing I was an hour closer to being at the Washingtons' was weight off my shoulders.

On my way to history I was stopped by Burr, not in a menacing way in a neutral way.

"Hey I'm Aaron Burr, I'm supposed to show you around the school today." Aaron convicted, portraying little to no emotion. I swear this kid's a robot or some shit.

"Oh okay. If you don't mind me asking, why today not yesterday?" He just shrugs as we walk down the now deserted halls of Kings High.

The school is huge to say the least, we barely making it halfway down the second floor when the bell rings, indicating the start of lunch break. We take the time when students fill the halls as a moment of silence not saying a word to each other. Then when we were once again alone. Burr continues stating random facts about the school. When the subject of him being only 16, yet still somehow a senior and student body present arose.

"How'd you get so close to graduating so fast?" I questioned persistently. When I see the first flash of emotion from this kid, sadness. It went as soon as it came, but it was there.

"It was my parents dying wish before they passed." I couldn't hide my excitement, not because his parents died but because he's an orphan like me and still managed to gain status at this school. We step into the elevator to make our way to the third floor.

"You're an orphan! Oh, Wow! I'm an orphan, god I wish there was a way that we could prove that we're worth more than anyone bargained for." That came out way more enthusiastic than I planned, I can tell Burr was confused by the way he raises a single eyebrow at me.

"Can I offer you some advice?" He says after a while. "Talk less." He continues. "Smile more."

"What?" Not talking wasn't my strong suit.

"Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for."

Is this kid for real?

"You can't be serious."

"You wanna get ahead?" I nod enthusiastically. "Fools who run their mouths off wined up dead."

Before I could respond, The elevator dings and we're met with loud music as soon as the doors open.

"WHAT TIME IS IT...... SHOWTIME." The voices yell simultaneously. Burr face palms at the sound we're hearing. Then I hear the first person speak.

"Yo, I'm John Lauren's in the place to be..." I hear John yell out into what I assume to be a microphone.This is all I need to go bolting down the halls trying t find where John's voice is coming from.

"Two pints o' Sam Adams, but I'm workin' on three, " I stop at a room looking through the cracks of the slightly open door, seeing John, Herc and Laf together jumping around the room to a beat coming from a laptop, free styling into microphones.

"Those prep-coats don't want it with me'. Cause I will pop chick-a pop these cops till I'm free"

I laugh a little at his last line. Until I hear everyone's favorite Frenchman start rapping himself.

"Oui oui, mon ami, je m'appelle Lafayette. The Lancelot of the revolutionary set. I came from afar just to say bonsoir. Tell the king casse-toi. Who's the best, c'est moi." I never expected to see that a day in my life. But I'm overjoyed I did. My train of thought was cut short when I hear a very loud bang as Hercules jumps up onto a table.

"Brrrah, brraaah I am Hercules Mulligan. Up in it, lovin' it, yes I heard ya mother said come again." I cover my mouth trying not to laugh at the high pitched voice Herc did to imitate a woman. "Ay, lock up ya daughters and horses, of course It's hard to have intercourse over four sets of corsets." Oh that's pretty upfront. 

"No more sex, pour me another brew, son. Let's raise a couple more.... to the revolution" John started but eventually the others joined in, I am a but confused to why they keep talking about a revolution. "Well, if it ain't the prodigy of Princeton college"

"Aaron Burr." Hercules stated in complete disgust. I didn't even see Burr approach me being so intrigued by what the others were doing.

"Give us a verse, drop some knowledge." I hid behind the door, so that the guys wouldn't see me there and think I was watching them. Even though I totally was. I could almost feel Burrs eyes roll in disgust. 

"Good luck with that, you're takin' a stand. You spit, Imma sit, we'll see where we land." Burr smirked but quickly regained his neutral expression, after only earning a loud obnoxious Boo from the group.

"Burr, our revolution's imminent, what do you stall for?" John questioned in a challenging voice. With this I take a leap of faith and make myself visible to deliver a rhyming couplet to what john just said. "If you stand for nothing Burr, what'll you fall for?" I almost regret my decision seeing the surprised look on everyone's faces. That feeling soon paces when John, Herc and Laf start laughing while Aaron huffs and walks away. I step into the room, instantly getting passed a mic. "New beat's about to start." John said with a cheeky smile. "Start us off." I freeze. Sure I freestyle for fun, IN PRIVATE. But doing it in front of people is so different. I'm overthinking everything that could go wrong. Then I hear the first note and an exterior force takes control of my body. "I'M NOT THROWING AWAY MY SHOT"