Chapter Sixteen

Robertson weaved in and out of traffic, his foot to the floor, his sirens blaring.

Rachel was in the passenger seat, holding on for dear life, tears rolling down her cheeks.

They had a call only moments ago saying the hospital had burnt down and Jade was missing.

Images of Jades cremated body came to Robertson's mind. All the burns she would've received, the agony she went through before she died.

No. He shook his head, the tears threatening to spill. She's not dead. She's not dead. She's not dead.

Robertson repeated these words in his head the whole way to the hospital, he wanted to believe those words, but he couldn't.

Something deep down told him his daughter was gone.

Robertson slammed on the brakes as the burning building came into view. Both of them jumped out of the vehicle and ran towards the crowd of anxious families. Waiting to hear if their family member was dead or not.

Robertson shoved his way through the crowd and stared at the piece of paper of the ones who tragically lost their lives.

Manning Ben
Johnson Tom
Wilcox Jane
Baker Louise
Clayton Brad
Quinn Lucy
Wilson Joshua
Ryan Zack

Robertson let a sigh of relief. She wasn't on the deceased list but she wasn't on the survivalists list either.

A tight pain filled his chest and he suddenly found it hard to breath. They were adding more names to the deceased list all the time along with the survivalists.

He spotted a third piece of paper with the title Missing.

Robertson slowly read the two names.

Dr. Ronald James
Robertson Jade

The pain increased and the tears were already pouring down his face. He glanced around, searching for any kind of a doctor, or anyone.

He spotted a blonde woman, her white clothes stained with black. She was standing over one of the deceased, tears pouring from her eyes. He spotted her tag on the waist of her skirt and rushed over to her.

She looked up at him, wiping away her tears. "Joshua was my patient," she explained through a sniffle. "He was doing much better, he was going to be released in couple of days and I was going to help him get back up on his feet," she broke into a fit of sobs again. "And now he's gone."

Robertson at that moment didn't care about anything or anyone else besides his daughter.

"Sorry about your patient, but where is my daughter?"

Dr. Quinn dried her eyes with her sleeve. "Your Jades father aren't you?"

Robertson nodded his head quickly. Dr. Quinn gave him a sad look. "I'm sorry sir, but nobody has seen her."

Robertson ran a hand through his greasy hair. He stared at the half broken down hospital. Jade could be underneath that rubble.

Robertson mumbled a quick thank you before setting off to find his wife. He found her crying her eyes out next to the injured.

Robertson has no words to comfort her. He didn't know how to tell her it was going to be ok. There was no point in saying it. Because it truly wasn't ok.

Robertson held her as she sobbed her heart out. They stood their for what felt like hours, crying into each other's arms.

~
The drive home was silent. Neither spoke a word to the other.

Robertson and Rachel has become distant ever since Jade was admitted to the hospital. They rarely spoke to each other and rarely saw each other.

Robertson spent most of his days at station, trying to find some other clue to track down Cheverston and end him.

Rachel spent most of her days crying in the bathroom, cleaning up the house and going to work, acting as if everything was normal.

Robertson pulled up at the house, parking the car. He got out, not saying a word as he unlocked the house, stepping inside.

Rachel followed and they both stood in the kitchen, not knowing what to say to one another.

"I- I promise I'll find her." Robertson spoke up after a long awkward silence.

Rachel glared at him. "You promised that last time Ryan, and you didn't find her, you caught Darren but Jade phoned the police and they rescued her. Not you."

Robertson clenched his fists. "Whose the one who went searching for our daughter? I did. Whose the one who spent day and night in that god damn station searching for her. I am. And whose the one who found out about Darren being the mole? Me. What did you do Rachel? Fuck all."

Tears spilled down Rachel's face. "How about you stop wasting your time searching for Darren because he's gone! How about you try and found my daughter before she gets killed. And actually find her this time instead of leaving it to the CIA."

Rachel wasn't done though. "And this is your fault! If you hadn't of sent her to that fucking hospital we wouldn't be in this mess!"

"YOU'RE THE ONE WHO AGREED WITH ME!" Robertson shouted, blood boiling. "Yes, it is my fault but you have part to take in the blame, honey, because I was doing what was right for our daughter."

"MY DAUGHTER!" Rachel screamed.

Robertson breathed heavily, staring at her, perplexed. "What do you mean, your daughter?"

Rachel fell silent, looking down at the floor.

Tears formed in Robertson's eyes. "Rachel," his voice cracked. "What aren't you telling me?"

Rachel looked up at him, the tears streaming down her face. "She isn't yours."

Robertson couldn't believe it.

Rachel sniffed. "I haven't loved you for many years Ryan. I was out one night, it was my friends hen party and I met this guy. At first we were just having fun but then we got drunk and had sex at his place and..."

She dried up her puffy red eyes. "And then a week later we had sex and the next thing you know, I'm pregnant."

Robertson's knuckles were white. He was shaking with anger. "The only reason I didn't divorce you was because I didn't want Jade growing up with separated parents so I just went along with it."

Robertson couldn't look at her. He was disgusted. She had cheated on him with another man and stayed with him because she felt bad.

Robertson looked at her. "Whose the father?"

Rachel bit down on her lip and swallowed hard. "Darren."

A/N
THE TEA IS BOILING LADIES AND GENTLEMEN And why not stir it a bit more? ;)

Sorry for not updating but there's more to come.