Chapter 18

"I didn't get to tell you earlier that you look very beautiful." Brae kept his head down, trying to hide his smile as he walked Cera to his home. The thought of her sharing his home brought him a happiness he hadn't felt since before his parents died. Brae ignored the part of him that kept saying it could only be temporary, that she may choose to go home at any time and there would be nothing he could do to stop her.

     Cera blushed and was glad it was too dark for Brae to see, "Thank you." She was feeling nervous now that she was going to be completely alone with him. Cera looked all around her but never stopped to let her gaze rest on Brae. Her heart was beating a mile a minute and she could have sworn that he was able to hear it so she tried to keep some distance between them.

     Brae could see that Cera was nervous and could tell that she was trying to hide it from him, but he couldn't help but smile that he could make her feel that way around him. Brae thought that could only mean one thing...she has feelings for him. He frowned and realized that they might not be the feelings he wanted them to be so he just had to hope they were good ones, "You don't have to be nervous. As soon as we get home, to my house, I'll show you where you can sleep and get some rest. I think the last time you slept was in the chamber in the cave the night before last."

     "Really? I feel like I've been here so much longer." Cera frowned at how that sounded to her and looked at Brae, "I meant that in a good way. Maybe time is different here, or there, or in my mind. Maybe it's just different."

     Brae smiled at her as she shook her head, "So, you aren't convinced yet then?"

     Cera smiled back at him and looked up at the sky without answering. She stopped in her tracks and stared in awe at the ocean of stars that twinkled above her. No familiar constellations jumped out at her, but that didn't stop her from trying to find the ones she knew.

     Brae stopped with Cera and stared at her curiously, "You don't have stars in your world?"

     "We do, but we have so many lights that sometimes they get drowned out of sight. I can show you." Cera stretched out her arm for Brae to take her hand.

     Brae looked at her outstretched hand in awe and smiled at her willingness to show him her world. Wrapping his hand around her hand he immediately saw the same skyscrapers as before completely lit up. Lights up and down streets kept everything illuminated in the dark and just as Cera had said, there were no stars to be seen. Brae released her hand and frowned.

     Cera crossed her arms as the breeze blew, "I haven't seen this many stars in years."

     Brae looked up before staring at Cera again. Reaching out he took a step toward her and touched her arm to get her attention, "You're cold?"

     She finally looked away from the stars and into Brae's eyes. Cera had no idea what he had just asked her. Her full attention had shifted to his hand on her arm and the warmth that washed over her.

     "Come on. You need some rest." He smiled, "So do I."

     Cera nodded as she walked closer to Brae feeling his warmth reach out to her. The rest of their walk was short and silent, but she didn't mind the quiet. Thoughts floated through her mind on why she should believe everything that had happened to her was real and how she could disprove it all. This had become a fairy tale to her, one that showed all the horrible details in between the wonder and magic. She wanted to believe in fairy tales so much but had never known any to actually come true. Wrapping her arms more tightly around herself she peered at Brae without turning her head and knew that he was the only reason she would consider believing.