Chapter 10

Trill looked down at her trembling fingers, "It took me a while to get to your parents. I ran as much as I could, but I had never had to run that much in my life. It was hard for me and I ran out of breath so quickly. I made it just before nightfall and had very little time to explain everything that I had talked with Amarundia about before seeing them as well as try to get them to leave their home again." Looking back into the crackling fire Trill kept telling the tragic story, reliving a night that would haunt her until the day she died.

********************************

     Alsandair opened the door with a smile when he heard the last knock, but when his eyes took in Trill's face his smile faded. Ayleen had been laughing and playing with her children when she felt the mood shift throughout their home. Her smile faded as she looked up and turned to see Alsandair move aside to let Trill into their home. Leaning his head back out the door, he looked around the yard making sure she hadn't been followed. Locking the door, he turned as Trill walked toward Ayleen. Ayleen immediately picked up Tarn and walked out of the room with him, Crina, and Brae.

     "It's true, isn't it?" Alsandair ran his hand through his dark black hair as he watched Ayleen disappear with their children.

     "Yes, I am so very sorry, but it is time for you to leave again."

     "We are not going anywhere. This is our home and our children should be able to grow up here just like we did."

     "Alsandair, think about this. Obram is going to kill you all if you stay here. Now that he knows you both are here, there will be no stopping him."

     Ayleen returned and grabbed Alsandair's arm while looking at Trill, "I can defeat him."

     Trill shook her head in frustration and gave them a hopeless look, "No you cannot, otherwise you would have tried the first time you left. He may have the same powers as you do but they are much stronger. His powers come from long ago and he has an advantage over you. Obram will use your family against you if he gets near enough. If Alsandair also had powers like yours then you might have a chance."

     "But I don't. All I can do is see and hear what's going to happen."

     "You have to do something Trill," Ayleen squeezed Alsandair's arm as she stared at him, then turned to Trill, "You have to help our children. You can do a protection spell, something that will keep them from being found, and something that will make it possible for them to come home."

     "Come home...you just told me you want your children to be able to grow up here. Why would you have your children hidden and not you? You make no sense Ayleen." Trill shook her head and stared at the ground.

     "Alsandair and I have just made our final decision that this needs to end now."

     "Just made your final decision? In the split second that you looked at him?" Trill looked as Alsandair and Ayleen looked into each other's eyes with a tenderness and understanding that made their current situation seem like a dream. "I will never understand you two." Trill bent her head and put her hands to her forehead.

     "You don't have to. We will do whatever we have to for the lives of our children. Trill, please do a protection spell."

     Trill slowly raised her head in realization, "You cannot mean..." Trill's eyes went wide as Ayleen nodded.

     "Yes, Trill."

     "Ayleen, a spell of that magnitude is almost impossible to perform, and the only way to ensure they are protected that way would mean you both...you both," Trill couldn't even say the words, "you both...no! I will not let you do that. I will not be a part of that." Trill shook her head emphatically and sliced her hands through the air.