Chapter 4

Cera had never been inside a cave before. She had seen pictures, but she never thought she would be standing inside of one. Walking into the cave was almost like walking into another world. Hearing of things found in caves like paintings and engravings or maybe even artifacts that were going to be unearthed was amazing enough, but this was something she had never heard of before. A mature living tree was growing inside the cave and it looked like a weeping willow. The outer branches were very thin and with the elongated leaves, looked like silky-smooth hair. The way the leaves covered every inch of the branches made the tree look elegant, extravagant even. Many of the lower branches were either grazing or completely touching the ground. Cera walked toward the tree as if it might disappear if she neared it too quickly when Tom came limping into the cave.

     "What's the matter?" Tom was still brushing the dirt off his clothes while muttering incoherently under his breath.

     "Nothing's the matter."

     "Then why are you walking like that?" Derision dripped from Tom's mouth with each word he spoke, "You didn't sprain your ankle."

     "There's a tree in this cave."

     "So what? A tree is making you walk like an old lady?" He didn't even bother to look at Cera as he insulted her and old ladies in general.

     "So," Cera shook her head and took in a huge breath trying to calm her nerves, "most plants need sunlight to grow and I don't see a way the sun could reach this tree." Reaching out she lightly brushed the teeming green leaves with her fingers. The whole tree seemed to slightly flinch at her touch as if she had startled it.

     With one last major expletive, Tom finally gave up on brushing off the dirt from his clothes, "Well maybe you just can't see where the sun would come in." He looked up at it, "The tree is kind of big."

     Cera pushed some branches out of the way to get under the tree and felt like she was parting a curtain hiding a stage, "This is so amazing."

     "Sure is. Can we go now?" Tom was looking down at his clothes and started to silently fume about them being dirty. Frustrated, he tried with all his might to keep himself from continuing to try to brush off the dirt that was now embedded into the fibers and had finally given up on trying to keep having an enjoyable time. Tom let his hands fall to his sides and started to shake his head. He couldn't understand what could have possibly come over him that would make him think this kind of outing was a good idea and couldn't believe that this was a pass time that Cera enjoyed more than what they usually do when they go on trips together.

     "Cera, where are you?" Tom was now in authoritative mode.

     "I'm under the tree, inside the branches. Hold on a minute."

     "I knew we should have brought the folding chair. Let's go."

     Yeah, but I suggested it, Cera turned to look at the branches and expected Tom to walk through them, "What's your problem now, Tom?"

     "I don't have a problem."

     Cera put her hands on her hips, "You do. Ever since the first bead of sweat popped up on your forehead you've slowly started becoming..." Cera stopped before she called him what she had been wanting to call him since the previous night.

     "Becoming what, Cera? Huh? What am I becoming?"

     Cera didn't wait for Tom to ask another question and exploded just as he was speaking, "A complete douche!"

     Tom's eyebrows just about raised into his hairline, "A douche? I planned this whole thing for you. I attempt to make this a perfect day for you and I'm the douche?"