Writing Prompt 5

"I think that  it's okay to think."

The small thud of the glove hitting the punching bag was common for Edric to hear

The small thud of the glove hitting the punching bag was common for Edric to hear. What was uncommon though was seeing Dante's face screwed in an expression Edric knew didn't mean anything good. So as Edric held the bag in place to keep it from swinging Edric spoke "The bag insult your mother or something?"

Which made something snap inside Dante as he threw a final punch and even through the punching bag Edric let out a small 'Oof!'

Hearing his four eyed friends grunt Dante grimaced. "Sorry man. I guess... I wasn't paying attention." He then helped his friend stand up and shrugged. "It's my Ma." He admitted finally.

"What about her?" Edric probed again his eyes carefully examining his friend. Sometimes he found that if you looked close enough, a human was like a computer. You just had to figure out the exact coding to know what response to give, and pray you gave the right response.

Finally Dante ran his hand down his face and grumbled. "She sounded sick on the phone. And I know she's too stubborn to go the hospital." He paused looking at Edric to see his friend patiently listening and with that nodded and kept talking "But Cousin Ricky is down there and he's never let me down before so why would he now? I mean... it's crazy to think he'd just let Ma get that bad and sick without doing something."

And with that the damn burst and Edric listened to his friend ponder and after every sentence Edric noticed a pattern.

"I'd have to be an idiot to think-"

"-because who would think-"

"-I know what my uncle is like. So why am I thinking-"

Finally Dante stopped and bent over exhausted his chest heaving from both speaking so rapidly and from jumping rope at the same time. If Dante kept moving he kept talking. So when Edric watched his friend pause to take a breath he knew Dante had let everything off his chest.

"So you think... because of what you heard and from the small things you've seen, your mother is sick at home and getting worse while your cousin Ricky is dealing with an abusive mom since your Uncle is retrying his marriage again?" Edric finally summed up his friends wild tangle of thoughts.

"Yeah I know. It's stupid to think that-"

"I never said that." Edric held up a hand tossing a water bottle into Dante's open hands watching him chug down the water side eying his friend to let Edric know he was still paying attention.

"Dante... I think it's okay to think. You don't need to have hard crucial evidence supporting every thought. You need evidence to support your actions." Edric said watching Dante toss the water bottle into the recycling bin and miss.

"If you're thinking these things... it doesn't hurt to go visit them. And if you're wrong, then your mom gets to see her son and you get to spend some time with your family. If you're right... well how you react and respond is up to you." Edric shrugged picking up Dante's failed throw.

Dante exhaled through his teeth making a hissing sound before standing up. "Alright. For a scrawny tech you make some damn good points."

"And for a big jock you got a lot of thoughts in that head of yours." Edric retorted making Dante laugh. "Now come on. Zemira invited us over for dinner. And you need a shower because you reek man." And that knocked the laugh off Dante as he launched a sweaty towel at his friends head making Edric screech and gag.

~~~~~

~~~~~

Hey y'all. DragonAlpha here! Wanna say thanks for reading this short little blip and and just saying to y'all that if you have requests you can message me or comment your ideas!

I love hearing my readers thoughts so don't be shy!