Life Moves On Like A Conveyor Belt

"From what I've heard, I made you both work without any real salary. After this, there's no reason for you to stick around. Now that I've lost my memory and my house... All the evidence I ever existed is gone. But this might be a good opportunity. According to everyone's stories, I was a real mess of a guy. This is my chance to start all over again. So let's end this Yorozuya business."

"What?" you took a step forward and reached out to him. "You don't really mean that, right?"

"You're kidding, right, Gin-san?"

"I don't need a salary! All I need it pickled seaweed! So please, Gin-chan!"

"I'm sorry. The Gin-san you both knew isn't here anymore." With some hesitance, Gintoki turned away and began to walk in the opposite direction. 

There were so many things you wanted to tell him, so many stories to share, too many events to even count. You wanted to reach out to the man and tell him to shut his mouth and just listen to you. He was too stubborn for his own good. Everything you wanted to say meddled with your thoughts; your words came out as a whisper. 

"[name]-nee!"

"[name]-san!" 

Shinpachi and Kagura turned around to look back at you. They both had tears threatening to leave their eyes. Their beloved boss- no, their beloved friend was about to abandon everything. If anything, or anyone- they believed that you were the one to stop him; and you couldn't let them down. 

"Gintoki!" he kept his back to you, so you walked up to him and placed your head on his back. "No matter what you say; your existence is not gone... and it will never be gone. You're an important part of Kabuki! Nothing will be the same if you leave. Are you just going to throw everything you've gone for Kagura and Shinpachi out the window? Even if you can't remember, I know that we both had so much fun together."

We just need to make new memories! Once you walk away from here you're leaving them behind. You're leaving me behind..." you gripped onto his yukata. "Gintoki... Don't leave." Whispering just so he could hear it, you told him, "You mean too much to me... please don't go." 

"[name]-san-"

"It's [name] to you."

"...[name]," Gintoki faced you and held your hands. "I don't want to cause any trouble for you, or those two over there. I just want to rebuild my life again," he clenched your hands. "I don't know why, but my heart feels... like it's breaking. I just know that you're important to me, [name], even if I can't fully remember you. But I can't afford to ruin your life with my memory," he loosely let go of your hand, but you kept hold of his. 

"But, Gintoki..." you intertwined your fingers with his, but he slipped his out after a couple of seconds.

"I'm sorry, [name]," And with that, he finally let go of you and walked off. 

"Damn it..." you wanted to cry; you wanted to let all your emotions out. But now, the two last members of the Yorozuya were counting on you. You turned around and faced them, "Shinpachi, are you going back home? Or do you want to stay with me?"

"[name]-san..." he looked at you face; it was obvious that you had a fake smile on. Your teary eyes gave it all away. "I'll... I'll be going home."

"Okay, get home safe. Kagura, I'll be one minute, I need to go get Sadaharu." 

"[name]-nee..."

。。。

"Kagura, what would you like to eat?"

"My sukonbu..." 

"How about some pickled seaweed with rice? You wanted that didn't you?"

"...Okay."