Chapter 24

"Rosilia, why'd you leave without me?" Dimitris tone sounded slightly forced, though he had a blinding smile in his face.

"I just wanted to let you sleep a bit, you must be tired from your guardian duties," I said in a light tone, trying to diffuse any tension he had. Maybe it was because of that dhampir, I still wasn't sure why they hated each other so much.

Confusion flashed across his face for a second before he said, "y-yeah, you're right, I did have something to attend to."

And just then, the guardian walked past our table with the child, though he was staring stonily ahead, not bothering to even glance our way for a single second.

My urge to find out the conflict between him and Dimitri kept up as I called out to him, "Dibe! Why don't you join us?"

The child turned to look at him, "see, the pretty lady even wants us to sit with her! Why can't we?"

I could see his jaw harden before he forced a smile. "Sure. Let's."

As they sat down, the child tore open the wrapper of his sandwich and lifted it to his mouth at incredible speeds, something that made my heart squeeze at his innocent childishness. Dibe, however, stopped him. "Slow down. You don't want to choke."

Again, his words sounded cold, but I could hear an affectionate tint to his tone, making me feel a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Then it was gone.

I found myself looking over at Dimitri, feeling a surge of love and lust. Dimitri was also looking at me with an intense stare in his eyes. There was a sexually charged tension in the air as I debated dragging him off to the closest place where no one could see and making out with him.

Then a voice shattered my fantasies. "So, sir," Dibe said in a pointed tone towards Dimitri. "Care to explain whatever... duties you might've been taking care of last night?"

Dimitri dragged his gaze reluctantly to the guardian's, and I knew that he had been thinking the same thoughts as I had a second ago. I blushed for having such vulgar thoughts around such a little kid and a guardian I hardly knew.

"It's none of your business," he snapped.

"Guardian duties, huh?" The other guardian scoffed. "What are those? Leisurely chatting up Queen Vasilisa? Interjecting useless ideas during meetings you shouldn't be in?"

I watched the two argue in confusion and anger. How dare he accuse my Dimitri of slacking off? He sounded so... childish, in the way the other guardian had described him.

"And now," he continued. "You have another girl to turn your attention to. I have my doubts this is a rebound. It's as if you've forgotten—"

"Excuse me!" I angrily stood up, glaring at the other guardian. "I don't know who you think you are, but don't go around throwing insults at people when you don't know who they really are, when you don't know their personal circumstances!"

The guardian looked shocked at my outburst. "You think I don't know his personal circumstances? I've seen him in his darkest times, watched him go through many phases of his life, watched him make many mistakes, and watched him become the person he is today. Can you really say that you know him as well as you think you do?"

"I know this man inside out!" I shouted, outraged. This nobody thought he knew Dimitri better than I did? No one knew Dimitri better than I!

I glance over at him to see Dimitri staring at me intently, then softening his gaze in a calming smile, "you know, Rosilia, it's completely fine. Let's just go. We clearly aren't invited here."

A wave of calm washed over me as I stared into those deep, dark eyes. "You're right, darling. We should leave."

The guardian said nothing as we walked off, hand in hand, though I could feel his gaze boring into our backs, and I instinctually knew that, despite his usually warm nature from what I had seen of him so far, that he was glaring and seething with anger.
~~~~~
So yep, back to spotty updates that'll happen whenever I have time, and I'm not going to try to rush these because I want this story to not be terrible 😂