Chapter 3

I had that dream again. his kisses, his touches, so, so real.
Then I realized that they were real.
I widened my eyes, and there he was. That beautiful, perfect face, those brown, silky curls, so much like Ivan's.
Ivan.
Right. I needed to protect him. I couldn't stand the thought of Ivan being forced to become a guardian and die before his due time was over.
I narrowed my eyes and built up all my strength and resolve to shove Dimitri away.
But I couldn't do it. I was half lost in the feel of his lips and the feel of his body against mine.
Then, an idea popped in my head, one I was sure would work. Picture a Strigoi leaning over me, ready to bite.
I visualized it in my head, squeezing my eyes shut so the sight of Dimitri wouldn't just shake up my resolve again.
I was able to visualize a Strigoi, but it was Dimitri.
A shock jolted me as I pushed him away.
Dimitri stumbled back, a look of shock transfotming to pain on his face that he didn't bother to conceal.
Those sad brown eyes were to much for me to bear as I swept my gaze around the room. It was the room that Ivan and I stayed in for the past nine years. Only the room was filled with other people, I realized with a jolt.
I first saw Viktoria, Olena and Sonya, theirs faces mirror of the shock and pain I had seen on Dimitri's.
It wasn't hard to picture Dimitri in those eyes, the same expression on his face.
I tore my gaze away from them and moved on. Next was Yeva.
Her gaze for once wasn't knowing or smug, not gloating or looking down on me. It was blank except for a tilt in her eyebrows, and that was enough for me to know she felt Dimitri's pain.
I looked away to the last person in the room.
It didn't help much.
Her face was blotchy and streaked with tears, new ones streaming down her face as she stared at me.
Lissa.
A few more moments of silence passed with the both of us glued to the spot, frozen at the sight of each other.
Then she broke the silence. "R-Rose?" she asked in a trembling voice.
That snapped me back to reality. I lept off the bed and made a dash for the door. Obviously I didn't get to far with the war god pinning me down to rhe ground after a few steps.
"Could everyone please leave the room?" he rasised his slightly accented voice.
Right in front of me the door opened as five pairs of feet exited the room.
So close... I thought, looking at the open door, the door to freedom. I tried to push Dimitri away again, but it didn't work this time.
He gripped me harder, whispering in my ear in a pained voice, "Roza..."
With that one word, my resolve began to falter, my arms and legs going weak under the pressure of his body.
He seemed to realize that, but he hesitated anyways. "Can you answer some of my questions?"
I answered crisply and curtly, trying to hide my hurt ego. "Fine."
Ne hesitated again, longer this time. "Do you.... do you still love me? I mean it's fine if you don't. I understand." He added hastily, not wanting to anger me.
"I...." I floundered for an answer. YES!!! My heart screamed. I loved you and have never stopped loving you.
Unfortunately my brain felt otherwise. Lie! My subconscious hissed. You've hurt him so much already. And also think of Ivan. You can't risk having him being taken away to be studied like a lab rat. A child from a dhampir couple should never exist.
"N-no." I choked the lie out, the words feeling bitter on my tongue.
I studied his face for a reaction, any sign of emotion, but he kept it blank, something he excelled greatly at. "I see." He said, his face impassive. The next words he said brought a flicker of pain on his face. "Who is the father of the boy?"
"I... don't know what you're talking about." I lied. How did he know about Ivan?
"Oh come on." He scoffed. "Do you really think I haven't realized that the dhampir child is yours? No one would tell me anything about him and also had him taken as far away from me as possible. So who's the father? Any Moroi I know?"
My heart was screaming, HE'S YOURS!!! ME AND YOU, NO ONE ELSE. I WOULD NEVER SLEEP WITH ANYONE OTHER THAN YOU. Of course I didn't say that. I couldn't. It would be easier if he just never saw me again. "He's nobody. Don't worry."
Dimitri looked so sad at the moment I almost backtracked. "Can I at least meet the father."
"No!" I said too quickly.
He gave me a suspicious look that quickly transformed to horror. "He didn't... he didn't run off, did he?"
"No!" I said too quickly again. I tried to say it more convincingly. "No, he's away right now."
"When will he be back?"
"Err..." I looked away from his face. "I don't know."
I was saved from his answer to my horrible lies as something slammed against the door. Both of us, caught off guard, jumped.
"Lissa?" Dimitri shouted.
The door burst open with Lissa standing in the doorway, tears still running down her face, looking the exact same as the first time I saw her in this decade.
"Dimitri!" Lissa shouted. "Grab Rose! Let's go!"
Dimitri was all guardian mode now, following Lissa's request promptly and hauling me away.
After all the lack of training, I was in no condition to escape, let alone fight my way through. I surrendered as he put me in the back of a cargo truck.