chapter 15-Becca pt.2

"You are her nothing anymore." I said standing up to stand chest to chest with him "The moment those wristbands went off and those papers were signed, you lost all rights to be her dad."

"I lost all rights to be her dad, but they didn't lose all rights to be their moms?" he asked sarcastically.

"Yes." April said "Because that's not how parenting works. Have you said hi to Rae yet Mr. Carter. Have you asked a single question about her?"

"You act like Max's mom is perfect." He said avoiding the question "that boy spent more time with Rae than he did at his own house."

"And that's one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made." Mrs. Anderson quietly said watching Max and Rae play on the playset "But I never pretended to be a good mom. I love my son, I just didn't know how to show him."

"And believe it or not Mr. Carter, Max has a lot of good stories about his Mom." April said "Rae doesn't have one about you."

"Really?" Mrs. Carter said looking at her with big hopeful eyes "he does?"

"You taught him how to ride a bike and kissed his owie when he fell off and scraped his knee." April said with a smile.

"I did do that." She said with a smile and a nod quickly wiping away a tear, "I completely forgot. Is there more?" she asked with hesitation.

"Yes." April laughed "We'll talk later." she said.

"DNA doesn't make a father Mr. Carter." I said pushing him back as he tried to tower over April "You are not her father."

"You sure about that?" He asks with a smirk as he glances over my shoulder "Raelynn Carter get your ass over here!" He yells

Both Rae and Max quickly look up at him with big eyes as their chins begin to tremble. Almost as if she's in a trance Rae starts to walk towards Mr. Carter before I step in front of him and push him back. "If you even think about laying a hand on my child again I will not hesitate to end you." I said quiet enough that Rae and Max couldn't hear me.

"You don't scare me." Mr. Carter said "an-

"Do I scare you?" Andrew said walking up behind me, I quickly looked behind me and tried not to laugh when I saw Andrew and Sara standing there with crossed arms and faces contorted into scowels. "I think it's time you left."

"This isn't over." Mr. Carter said pointing at me before he grabbed his wife's wrist and stormed out of the house.

"Thanks guys." I said with a heavy sigh before I walked over to where April was trying to comfort Rae. "Come here baby." I whispered picking her up and quickly carrying her inside "It's okay my love, I'm right here." I said as she clung to my back.

"I no ant im ere." she cried into my shoulder "He cary."

"I know baby." I said bouncing her on my hip as we walked into her nursery "he's never coming back here"

"You pwomise?" she asked looking at me with big eyes.

"I promise baby." I said getting ready to nurse her looking at her in confusion when she pushed me away. "What's wrong baby?" I asked.

"No Mommy." she said shaking her head but avoiding my eyes. "No ant."

"Why not pumpkin?" I asked as she started sitting up in my lap to rest her head on my shoulder.

"I not a baby." she said with a big yawn.

"Okay." I said patting her back in deep thought. Once I thought she was asleep I carefully stood up and tried to lay her down in her crib.