chapter 3-Raelynn

"Max." I said as I woke up from what felt like a deep sleep. I rolled over and saw Max crunching on a bowl of popcorn watching a movie on a big TV screen. "Where are we?"

"Hey Rae beam." He said not taking his eyes off the TV. "We're at a hotel. April and Becca went to the front desk. They said they'll be back in a second."

"How did we get here?" I asked taking a handful of the popcorn he offered me.

"April said that when they took the bracelets off there was something in them that made us sleepy. Becca said that we would be okay, but I could tell she was really mad about it." He said as the door opened.

"There were some swimsuits down in the lobby store if you guys want to go swimming when Rae wakes up." April said walking into the room holding a pair of swim trunks and a two-piece bathing suit "After dinner of course. Hi sweetie." She said with a smile as she looked up and saw that I was awake.

"April I'm starting to get nervous." Becca said walking into the room looking down at her phone. "I know she's 10 pounds lighter, but Max woke up almost an hour ago."

"Becca." April whispered pointing in my direction.

"Rae." She said walking to my side of the bed setting down the two swimsuits and her cellphone and sitting by my feet. "How are you feeling sweetheart."

"I'm okay." I said with a shrug. "Kinda hungry though."

"Well now that you're awake" April said walking over to the bed and taking the bowl of popcorn away from Max "We can eat an actual dinner."

"Hey." Max said under his breath "traitor." He said lightly nudging me with his elbow. I laughed as there was a knock on the door and Becca stood up with a smile to answer it.

"Room service for the prince and princess." She said calling us out to the room connected to the bedroom. "Max said you liked chicken strips." She said taking the lid off the plate and smiling as I nodded my head with a grin on my face.

"So, after dinner we were thinking we could swim for a little bit before bed but then we want everybody in bed no later than 10. We have a flight to catch in the morning and we need to be well rested." April said pointing her fork at both of us. "Also, did either of you want to stop at your houses before we leave tomorrow and pack anything?"

Both Max and I nodded our heads. "Ummm can—can I borrow um, never mind." I said looking back down at my plate. Dad never liked when I asked questions. I got in a lot of trouble and if he was mad enough he hit me.

"Rae look at me please." Becca said softly. I looked up but not in her eyes I didn't want to get in more trouble than I already was.

"She didn't mean to make you mad." Max said quickly standing up and walking next to me. "She's sorry, aren't you Rae. I promise she won't do it again. Please don't hurt her" He said his voice starting to shake as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. Max was always looking out for me.

"Max." April said standing up and kneeling in front of him "Nobody is in trouble and nobody is going to get hurt. I'm so proud of you for standing up for Rae all of these years but you don't have to do that anymore." She said pulling him into a hug.

"Raelynn." Becca said kneeling in front of me. I could tell she had been trying to get my attention for a while.

"You know about my dad?" I asked in a whisper. A quickly whipped away a tear as it fell from my eye.

"Yeah baby." She said with a sigh reaching out and tracing the bruises on my wrists. "We saw Max's extension form. Your dad has no excuse for the things that he did, that's not how a parent should treat their child. You never have to be afraid of me. There is nothing you could ever do that would make me hurt you like your father did." she said, "You could yell at me, you could throw a tantrum, lie, curse, spit, hit, literally anything and I will never do what your father did to you okay?" I nodded my head and she gave me a sad smile before she said, "do you remember what your question was?"