chapter 10-Becca

I set down the book I was reading and hooked Rae's monitor to my belt as I walked to the door and quickly opened it hoping the doorbell didn't wake up my napping baby.

"Hello." I said looking at the woman standing on my doorstep "How can I help you?"

"My name is Catherine May." She said shaking hands with me and then handing me her work badge "And I'm with LPS."

"Little's Protective Services." I said handing her back her badge and inviting her into the house "Is there a problem?"

"Not at all." She said with a smile and an awkward pause. "Did you not receive a phone call?"

"No." I said raising an eyebrow as I walked into the kitchen "Can I get you anything?"

"Water would be great." She said with a smile "And I am so sorry! When a new little moves in with a caretaker we like to set up an appointment in the first week to make sure everything is safe. Now I see why you never called back."

"Here you go." I said handing her a water and sitting across from her at the table. "I would have set up an appointment if I knew. What do we need to talk about?"

"A couple of things." She said opening a folder that had mine and Rae's name on it. "I would also like to talk to Raelynn."

"She's taking her afternoon nap." I said tapping the monitor that sat on the table "She should be awake soon."

"Okay." She said with a smile "can I see the rest of the house, make sure it's safe."

"Sure." I said squinting my eyes at her. I stood up and showed her around the rest of the house stopping at the playroom and my bedroom.

"How long has she been here now?" Catherine asked "And when did she regress?"

"I picked her up from code 12 about two weeks ago and she regressed a few days ago." I said stopping in the hallway "She didn't have the best home life so that has been difficult to work around."

"Mommy." I heard Rae interrupt us through monitor. "I'll be right back." I said tossing the monitor on the bed and walking into her nursery.

"Hey baby." I whispered picking her up out of the crib and laying her on the changing table "How was your nap?"

"It was ood Mommy." She said with a yawn I patted her bottom and felt a dry diaper so I pulled off her sleep clothes and put her day clothes back on her before sitting down on the chair and pulling her on my lap.

"Mommy has a friend who stopped by who wants to ask you some questions about what it's like to live here." I said running my hands through her messy sleep hair.

"Why?" she asked looking up at me with her head tilted to the side.

"She just wants to make sure your safe." I said kissing her forehead.

"I safe." She said nodding her head "I no safe when I at ole home but now I safe."

"I know peanut." I said standing up to leave her bedroom. "You just have to tell her that."

"I haf my paci Mommy?" She said reaching out to the monkey pacifier she left in her crib.

"Rae this is Catherine." I said as I handed her the pacifier and we walked into the hallway.

"Hi Miff Caferin." Rae said laying her head on my shoulder.

"Hi Raelynn." She said as we all walked to the living room. "I heard your Mommy telling you what I'm here to talk to you about."

"Yesh." She said with a smile "I talk about lifing here." She said taking the pacifier out of her mouth and leaning in to hug me. "I ike iving here wif Mommy. She gives me ots a hugs an kisses and pays wif me in the payroom and on da payset. My old daddy was eally mean." She said all of a sudden with big eyes as she shook her head back and forth "He hit me ots and yell at me for eryting I did. Mommy say that there is notin I can ever do dat would make her hit me. I could ell and sceam and hit and ie and she would never ever hit me. Ony ove me. She make me say dat eryday so I no foget." She said with a smile as she placed both hands on my cheeks and giggled as she squeezed them together.