Chapter 14: Calm before the Storm

"... Actually had to resort to this..." Sajin muttered as he washed off his hands in the bathroom.

It was still early in the morning (by his definition but it was actually around 11 in the morning) and he just finished taking a shower. He was still standing in front of the mirror to get a clear look at himself - or specifically, his hair.

He had dyed it back to its raven black colour.

Thump! He slammed his fist on the basin he was washing his hands from, tears were gathering at the corner of his eyes.

The opportunity he had been waiting for ever since he had gotten to high school. He had contemplated that he was going to do it in his first six months of his final year. He was even going to accept Hanako being mad at him about.

Only for him to dye his hair back to its 'natural' colour.

Thump! He did it again.

Injustice. Planned discrimination. Unrequited hatred. Unacceptance. Outlier. Rebel. Outcast. Delinquency. Stories to tell your kids one day.

All of them was crushed in this moment.

It was so heavy on him that the tears in his eyes were becoming even harder to hold back. How dare the universe do this to him? All because he became acquainted with Sue. How dare she take that opportunity away from him?

All of this venting is because he was told to dye his hair back to it's natural colour as soon as he had entered the school the day before. Nexus High and the Headmaster was boasting in bringing 'life and individuality' to the school but Sajin wasn't even allowed to come with his "not natural" hair colour. He decided that he wasn't even going to go to school today because of it.

After a few more minutes of self  depreciation and nonsense venting Sajin got dressed and headed to the kitchen.

Sue was busy dishing up breakfast.

"Morning, Sajin!" She said in a happy manner. She was also humming and dancing as she had done so.

The was the "casual personality" Sue. Dressed in a large white shirt and jeans she also had an apron on. Her hair tied into a ponytail with a red glowing string she always had.

She also had a pair of headphones on now. She had begged Sajin to buy her one a few days ago and he reluctantly did. She had never taken them off, except when they were out working.

"Morning, Sue." Still upset, Sajin quietly sat down in apathetic manner.

"Did you dye your hair?"

"Yes, yes. No need to rub it in."

"Mm? You upset?"

"............................. No."

"Why did you pause for a moment? Are you lying to me?"

"Shut up, idiot."

"Uwaaa! Sajin is upset!"

"I'm not!"

"Sajin is angry because he can't become a chuni! He will forever remain the tsundere character!"

"S-shut up! I'll kill you!" Sajin was about to chop her on the head.

"Yes, yes." Sue raised her arms in surrender as she waved off his threat. She also awkwardly laughed off Sajin's glare that he was giving her.

At least he isn't gloomy anymore...
She thought as she filled their glasses with orange juices and the sat down.