Chapter 12: Fear/Nightmare

Start from the beginning

"Are you being sarcastic?"

[Am I? I wouldn't know...]

I could almost feel his smirk as he continued to tease me. No! My cheeks can't be flushing now I need to be focussed.

"I keep asking you but who are you talking to?" Sajin said but his voice sounded like it lacked emotion.

"I told Nii-chan earlier. It's The Concept of Fear. He doesn't have definite form so he speaks to me in my head."

"Huh? So you're not crazy..." I heard him mutter to himself.

I don't know what happened but something is different from when I had first met him.

He seemed... Calmer.

"I have a question for you." I said as I walked closer to him.

"What?"

"Do you know how my Eyes work?"

"Nope." He answered instantly.

"Then let me explain..." I said and began explaining to him how Limbo works. After the explanation he closed his eyes for a moment the n nodded to himself. He then looked towards me and gave a smug smile.

"Here's one problem with what you just told me though..." He said.

"What is -" I was interrupted by the sudden appearance of a pretty lady. Her hair and clothes were so white that it looked like she had covered herself in snow. In her hands were two very long katanas. What was really dazzling was her eyes. They also had the nice gray colour that Nii-chan  has.

"Forgive my late intrusion, Master." She said and then gave a quick bow.

"What took you so long, Sue?" He said as he smiled.

"People do not all commit suicide at the same time. They were two that hanged -"

"I don't need to know the details of what you did, okay?" Nii-chan quickly interrupted.

[Master, it isn't safe...] Fear warned but I shook my head. Nii-chan had me curious about what he said.

"What did you mean you had a problem with what I said?" I asked.

Nii-chan had the ropes that were restricting him cut and then he got up to get his blood circulating properly again.

"Mm? Oh, I meant that you don't have the Concept of Fear." He said. "You have the Concept of Nightmares."

"........ What?" I said scratching my head. "I don't get it."

He then gave an evil smile that even made me shiver. "You don't have to." And then he snapped his fingers. "Sue."

Snow white nodded and then teleported. I couldn't see where she was as my eyes continued darting the room to find her.

[I'll protect you, Master.]

In that instant, something flashed before me and before I knew it I hear a kaching! And then it disappeared again. I realised that I had inadvertantly closed my eyes.

When I opened them again. I saw that there was a black mist coming out of my back in the shape of wings. I almost instinctively who it was that had saved me.

"... F-Fear?"

[I'll protect you, Master.]

"Thank you..." I whispered in appreciation.

Looking down at my skin I see that it is not so ashy anymore. It looked to be recovering its natural colour noe that the mist had left my body.

Snow White reappeared and then disappeared again.

This time, I'm going to fight with. I'll show them that me and Fear are not be taken lightly. Even if I have to face Nii-chan as well.

"And that's why you lose..." I heard a voice and then I felt my body was pushed against a wall. It didn't take me long to realise that I was pressed against the wall with a hand on my face. I'm pretty sure it was Nii-chan's.

How is he able to move so fast?

"Let... Go of me..." I struggled to say.

"Okay." He said and I fell on my butt.

"Ow! That actually hurt Nii-chan." I said while slowly getting up.

Whack!

"Ow!" He chopped me on the head. "What was that for?!"

"Because you're an idiot." He had said as if he was reprimanding me.

I manage to look behind him but I saw that Snow White was standing quietly behind Nii-chan. I couldn't see the black mist or sense Fear anywhere.

"... Where's Fear...?" I managed to to utter after staying quiet for a while. My chest was pounding unusually fast and my head was starting hurt. I also felt like I was about to throw up.

Was I... Nervous?

"He's gone," Nii-chan answered. "So are you're Eyes."

"Why?!" I pushed him out of the way and ran towards the switch turning on the light.

"Fear!" I started calling. "Fear! Fear! Fear! Fear!" Tears were rolling down my eyes.

I can't lose someone again. Not again. I had just my family. Fear was the only that stayed by my side. I can't lose him too. I don't want to be alone.

I don't want to be alone!

I went on my knees and started crying. Yelling as much as I could while banging my fists against the floor.

I realised now what this pain in my chest was that Fear had kept from me.

It was guilt.

I let my father die. I let the people after my family die. I almost killed Nii-chan.

"Ah!" I suddenly gasped when I felt someone hug me. It was Nii-chan. It was stern and protective, like Father.

"If you really feel guilty about what you've done, then live with it. Don't pretend to be guilty and then kill yourself because of this. That isn't paying for what you've done. If you truly feel guilty, then live with what you've done."

I look at him with my tear stained eyes. It was blurry but it almost looked like he was smiling at me. It looked like a genuine smile.

"Nii-chan..." I said then started crying again.

I missed this feeling. What was it called again? I can't remember.