thirty

The past and its secrets

3. person

Chaeyoung took a few slow steps inside the stiffly quiet room, raising her eyebrow in question. The girls glanced between each other uneasily, all but Jisoo who seemed to take a few steps back, bowing her head.

"Well?" muttered the perplexed girl, frowning, "What were you talking about?" tilting her head, she ran her eyes along all of them, "You were talking about me, weren't you?" pushing, she knew she wasn't going to keep silent any longer.

Chaeyoung knew they were hiding something from her for the longest time, and now that she finally caught them red-handed, she was not going to play stupid and blind any longer.

The stiff silence stretched on, causing her to get more and more frustrated with each second. They knew she was already suspicious, so why were they still so secretive about it?

"I already know there's something you're hiding from me so-"

"He must be quite fond of you if he's calling for you even in the middle of the day." Chaeyoung halted in surprise, Sueji's sudden remark taking her off guard for a second.

"Huh?" she muttered quietly with a confused frown before composing herself back together, looking away from the girl who crossed her arms in front of her chest in suspiciousness. "I don't know what you're talking about." she pursed her lips, trying to fight the subtle blush creeping up her cheeks. It was not the right time to get all bashful.

"Oh but those marks on your neck tell me otherwise." pried Sueji, quirking up her eyebrow while all the girls watched the conversation in silence.

"D-don't try to change the topic!" Chaeyoung whined, placing her palm over her neck unconsciously.

"Oh but I'm not," raising her eyebrows, Chaeyoung looked at Sueji who got all serious once again, "in fact, I'm talking exactly to the topic."

Chaeyoung frowned before glancing at all the girls around, all of them either bowing their heads or looking her way in concern, sending her into utter confusion.

"What?" she whispered, her fist tightening from the nerves that begun clawing at her mind.

"You and the king are getting really close with each other lately," sighed Jennie, taking a step closer towards her with a troubled expression, "and we're concerned for you." Chaeyoung scrunched up her face, not understanding a single thing.

"Why?"

"You're not the first bride to ever get so close with him." spoke up Miyeon, Chaeyoung's breath getting stuck in her throat at the girl's words. "And the last time it happened, it didn't end up well."

She watched them in silence with her mind in a complete mess, trying to figure out their confusing words when a sudden thought hit her forcefully, her eyes widening subtly in realization.