•Forty•

Pulling the covers from off my body, I pull myself from the bed and walk over to the balcony doors, peering out as the sky begins to brighten

Pulling the covers from off my body, I pull myself from the bed and walk over to the balcony doors, peering out as the sky begins to brighten. The sky a bright grey, still gloomy as expected, but the fluffy and thick layer of snow covering the balcony is still beautiful. It looks like it may have possibly snowed at least six feet overnight, and yet the news is still calling for another round of snow showers later on this evening.

Grabbing my robe from the chair, I quickly slip it on, deciding it was time that I try to locate Damien. It's been a few hours since he and Ace left me in Dante's office to retrieve information from Caine, and since I've not yet heard anything from him, I'm beginning to feel a little worried. I hadn't expected for him to be gone this long.

Walking quietly through the halls, the estate is deadly quiet, which isn't unusual for this hour of the morning. As I walk up closer to Dante's office, I notice the door is ajar. I quietly open the door, slowly peering in to see if I saw anyone. Spotting Nick laying across the same leather couch he was on earlier—the same bottle of liquor resting in between his legs except the bottle is now completely empty.

I snicker and immediately cover my mouth. His eyes snap open, bloodshot and glassy, landing on my frozen form. Shit, I hadn't meant to disturb him. Poor guy has been shot and I'm sure he's in some type of pain. "Sorry, Nick. I didn't mean to wake you."

"It's ok sweetheart, the pain wakes me up every time I drift off to sleep anyhow." He replies, trying to set himself up. His face begins scrunching, cursing, and hissing in pain. "What the hell are you doing, sit back. You don't have to sit up on my account." I scold him as I gently push him back down.

"Sit down with me," he says, pulling my hand as he set himself back down, leaning his back against the arm of the couch. I smile and sit down and look at his wounded arm. "Are you sure you're ok? You seem like you're in a lot of pain." I ask. He chuckles.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It usually hurts like this for about two or three days. Stop worrying, I'll be fine." He tells me. "If you say so," I sigh, wrapping the robe tighter around my body. The office is a bit chilly, which I'm sure Nick must have turned the heat down.

"I came down to see if I could find Damien, he hasn't come up to my room since leaving with Ace." Nick grabs his phone that's in his pants pocket, grunting softly as he tries not to move his wounded arm. "Do me a favor, sweetheart, grab that other bottle of Jacks in your grandfather's desk for me, would ya?." He asks as he gestures to my grandfather's desk.

I walk over to the desk and open the drawer, grabbing the bottle, and walk back over to the couch. I settle back down beside him and hand him the bottle, watching as he places the phone to his ear. He props the phone on his shoulder while placing the bottle of Jacks between his legs. After twisting the top off with his good arm, he brings the bottle to his mouth and takes a big swig.