•Three•

"What the hell is going on grandma? How do you know Dante Russo?" I ask as she closed the door to a small office

"What the hell is going on grandma? How do you know Dante Russo?" I ask as she closed the door to a small office. The room is similar to the one I was shoved in.

"Rayleigh, baby please have a seat. This may take a while." she sighs as she sits down on the sofa. It's been a few years since I've seen her. It was at dad's funeral. She came down to bring him to Georgia to lay him beside his father.

I take a seat beside her and grabbed her hand. "I need to understand this. I get that Caine has put a hit out on me, but what I don't get is how you are involved and why Damien isn't here." I ask softly.

"I found out from Dante about the hit Caine made on you and asked him to get you to safety before it was too late. I don't know Damien my dear, so I feared if anyone knew about the plans Dante made, it would have been for nothing." she tries to explain.

She chuckles softly as she looks down at our hands while she soft rubs mine softly. "I'm afraid my family history has been kept a secret from you and Cole."

"Tell me Grandma, please help me understand why you're here with a mafia boss of all things." I plea. "I feel as if I'm in some kind of nightmare and can't wake up," I admit as I feel the tears begin to form.

"Ok honey, this may be a bit of a surprise to you but, " she begins as she closes her eyes. Taking in a deep breath, "I am Kathleen Ricci, daughter of Antonio Ricci." she explains. I scrunch my brows, as I begin to search my memories of hearing that name before.

"Rayleigh, he was the godfather of the New York Mafia," she announced with sadness in her eyes. "My mother and father were both shot and killed in a drive-by a few months after I turned eighteen," she says voice quivering slightly as I see tears softly sliding down her cheeks.

"Oh Grandma, I'm so sorry." I try to console her, pulling her in for a hug. Holy shit! My grandfather was a mafia boss? How did I never know this?

She pats my back and pulls back. "I was in love with Dante back then. He was my father's, right-hand man. He was young, but my father loved him." Her lips pull up to a half-smile.

"How did you end up with Grandpa?" I ask, curiously. This feels like a story straight out of a romantic novel.

 This feels like a story straight out of a romantic novel