•Nineteen•

"I am so fucking confused," Nick said as he rubbed his temples in a circular motion

"I am so fucking confused," Nick said as he rubbed his temples in a circular motion. I turn from his direction as I placed a cigarette to my lips drawing in the smoke and looking out into the California starlit sky.

"I won't make her choose, Nick." I breathe as the smoke respires from my lips. "She was accepted to NYU, how can I ask her to come to New Orleans with me and disrupt her future just because I'm in love with her?" I ask.

"We went to great lengths to locate her for you, and now, what? Send her off to New York to attend college and leave her unprotected? Caine has placed a hit on her head." He reminded me in an aggravated tone.

"I won't leave her unprotected, but I will not disrupt her life either." I grit, shaking my head. "You wouldn't understand."

"Then make me understand, why and what in the hell brought this on? Just this morning you were hell-bent on finding her and never letting her out of your site and now you're ready to just let her go?"

"She gave up her teenage life to keep her grades high so she could be accepted to NYU. Do you think if I asked her to come to New Orleans, that she would say no? Do you think she would do what's best for her?" I ask.

He just stares at me. "You may not know her as well as I do but even you know the girl is selfless and she would do anything that I ask of her. She's the most selfless person I've ever met. It's one of the many things that I love about her. So, my telling her to go to college is showing her how much I love her. She's worked too fucking hard to let all those years of hard work be for nothing. I've been thinking about this since we left Club SIN." I mention as I take a seat on one of the patio chairs.

"I forgot about her being accepted until Cole mentioned it before we left to go to Club SIN this evening. She hasn't mentioned it once to me since I met her. I was undecided about what I was planning to do about that until I met Lorenzo. It's too dangerous. We have Caine, the Russians and God only knows how many hitmen are out there looking to cash in the reward that Caine has offered. Lorenzo is a wild card and I can't risk having anymore targets over her head. I'll leave in the morning after instructing Dante to bring her with him to New York, so she'll have his men on guard as well as some of mine." I explained.

"Have you spoken to her about any of this?" Nick asked, as he walked over to the other chair and takes a seat.

I shook my head no. "I'll tell her in the morning before I leave. Hell, maybe Ray's mother will finally step up and help her through what she may go through when I leave. I want my men to keep an eye on that son of a bitch Gabriel as well. Something isn't sitting well with me; he's hiding something I can feel it. After I eliminate Caine and his threat, I'll work hard on finding out what his game is."

"I'll inform Dante now, and make the arrangements for her security detail," Nick stated as he heads back inside, leaving me alone on the patio. I closed my eyes and listened to the crickets chirping in the distance.