•Twenty Seven•

Six Months Later

Six Months Later

I stare at the firewood and become transfixed on the glow of its flames as the logs burn a deep reddish-orange color. The pain of my queen leaving hurts more than she will ever know. More than anyone will ever know.

It's been six months since I've touched her skin—since I've kissed her juicy red lips...since I've felt her wither underneath me as I brought her to her pinnacle.

I wanted to chase after her, fuck, I truly did, but ultimately, this is what's best for her in the long run. I love her and I will never make her choose to be with me. If she wants me, she will choose me willingly. Fuck, why does doing the right thing feel so goddamn wrong? Why does the future I want more than anything have to be taken from her and me?

The screen that displays her bedroom in New York shows nothing but stillness. Quiet, neat, and empty. "She's due home in five minutes," Cole informs me as he stands on the side of my desk.

Veering my eyes away from the screen I swallow, "Has she asked about me?" I mumble as I strike a lighter and puff on my cigar. She doesn't want to speak to me. She's made it clear every time I called.

I placed hidden cameras in her bedroom when she moved into Dante's home in New York. I also have full access to Dante's security cameras that are placed throughout the home. She may not want anything to do with me, but I've made sure I have eyes on her at all times. Her schedule is briefed to me every morning and night.

"Sir, she hasn't accepted my call in a couple of months," Cole admits. I knew this but every day I hoped she would open up to her brother, at least. "I'm sorry, Cole," I reply.

"Kaye hasn't heard from her in almost two months," he adds. "I am a bit concerned," he voices in a sad tone. "Why?" I ask him in concern.

"Me," he smacks his chest lightly, "I can understand it, boss. You know, her relinquishing all contact with me—her ex's left hand, It's obvious. But," he paused as he takes in a deep breath. "Losing all contact with her best friend since kindergarten, it just doesn't make sense. It's not sitting well with me, sir." He says as he hung his head low and lets out a ragged breath.

"Sir," Matthew, one of my men announces, making me whip my head towards him. "Kaye is now Cole's fiancé. The connection could be the issue. She knows you will want full loyalty—family ties be damned. Don't forget about her being the granddaughter of Dante. I'm sure he has been teaching her about the way a "family" works."

"I can see her not giving information to me, but Kaye is her best friend." Cole insisted. "Something isn't right." Cole sighs. What is truly going on with my Queen? Why did she lose all contact with her brother and best friend?

I look towards the screen when I notice movement inside her bedroom. My heart hammers behind my rib cage when the light flickers on, illuminating the room.