•Twenty Nine•

I spoke with Dante about what I saw on the security camera during my flight to New York and could hear his anger radiating through the phone

I spoke with Dante about what I saw on the security camera during my flight to New York and could hear his anger radiating through the phone. He seemed to be more upset with himself than the son of bitch at his table who betrayed him and his family.

Sometimes things like this happen in our world. You encounter a Judas at your table. People weasel their way in and out of our lives. Some people get in and get caught and some get greedy and become a rat for their selfish reasons. They needed to prevent jail time or wanted more money and power than what they have been given.

Dante is the smartest man I've ever known in my world. He always outwitted the snakes in his back yard. I know everything that's happened with the love of his life, Kathleen, and the newfound knowledge of his granddaughter has distracted him.

I've known Dante most of my life. He and my grandfather, Troy Heart were close. After he died and Caine took over, he wasn't around as much. After everything that's happened, I'm sure it has to do with Caine and how he conducted things.

Dante has always held his family above all, I've always admired that about him. I always wished Caine would do the same. I believe that is why I became so close to him. Caine was my father, but I had always wished he was more like Dante.

I wasted my time all those years. Caine Heart has only ever cared about surviving and killing anyone he pleases for his selfish reasons, no one in the Heart family ever meant shit to him. We were just pawns in his game to ensure he got what he wanted.

Sitting inside of Dante's office, I wait for the allies I've accumulated over the last seven months to arrive, all for this very moment. Even though Ray may say she hates me, and we aren't together, I've strived hard to ensure she was safe. I busted my ass planning all of her security to ensure her safety, above everyone else, including my own.

Everything that I've done over the last seven months has been for her. I meant what I said when I asked her to marry me, she's it for me. I'll never love or want another woman. Whether she likes it or not, once this is all over and she is safe, Rayleigh Johnson will stand beside me at the altar and say I do. I will never give up on her.

I will not allow her to be harmed. I won't be able to survive this world if she isn't in it. She's the angel my mother promised me would come into my life, and I'll be damned if I allow her to be harmed.

I eye Dante across his desk as I smoke my cigarette, "You have a rat amongst your table. Any idea who it could be? And please spare me the bullshit."

If only I had caught his rat six months ago, I'm confused about how he somehow missed it—this long? How in the hell did the "almighty" Dante miss it? I saw it and I'm an outsider. Something doesn't feel right about that.

"A couple of people. Fuck Damien, I fucked up. I left my family vulnerable to vultures." He grits and then sighs, shaking his head in shame. "I know shit like this always happens in our world." He adds "But I've spent decades ensuring it never happens to me." He mumbles.