•Twenty Four•

Standing outside of the steel door, I close my eyes and try to clear my mind

Standing outside of the steel door, I close my eyes and try to clear my mind. I don't usually have a problem doing what I'm about to do, but since I've met Ray, it's been a little difficult to do.

Two days ago, I had planned to send her away, make her do what's best for her. Now, I stand here waiting to torture this son of a bitch who was paid by Caine to gather information for him with Ray's engagement ring in my pocket.

I don't know what to do to ensure that Ray follows through and attends college, but what I do know is that I will stand by her when she does. I know that Ray is purely good and I battle with thoughts of knowing she doesn't know there is another side to me.

I am so tired of fighting the demons trying to keep the best thing that's ever happened in my life away from me. I have always blamed Caine for this but in reality, it's been fear, my fear. Fear that the woman I've fallen madly and desperately in love with should ever find out just how dark and demented I truly am.

What would she think of me? How much would she hate me? How much disgust would she feel for me?

"Sir," hearing Nick's voice brings me to the present. "Are you ready?" He asks. I nod once and then walk inside the cell that's holding Caine's informant.

My eyes roam the dingy room, searching for the stupid fucker. His body hangs from the chains bolted to the ceiling. His clothes are ripped and torn as the blood seeps from the wounds my men have inflicted. As I'm staring at his limp and battered body, my thoughts become completely clear. Crystal fucking clear...

"Have we found out his real name?" I asked, pulling off my suit jacket and handing it over to Noah. Nick opens the laptop, "His real name is Colton Thomas. He's thirty years old, born in Savannah, Georgia. He's not well known here in Louisiana, but we found some information down in Miami, Florida." Nick begins as he clicks on a file icon.

Several documents load and then he points at the screen. "He's been arrested twice for attempted murder but both cases were dropped for lack of evidence. I called one of my contacts down in Miami and he sent me information. Colton joined a small gang that goes by the name of 'The Double Duces' almost a year ago."

Nick pulls up a few photos from another document and I see the man in question in several of the photos with what seems to be a biker gang, that looks to be Latino.

"My contact said he was a prospect. Seems he hadn't even been in it a year. About two weeks ago the gang was rumored to have a pricey hit out on our boy Colton. Supposedly, some stupid ass stole a truckload of heroin from the warehouse that the gang owned and since Colton here has been missing for two weeks, they believe that he's the culprit." Nick finishes as he closes the laptop, smiling with pride.

"Can your contact find out how to get the leader of The Double Duces on the phone?" I smirk. "I believe we can get the information we need from him about Caine and make us some money in the process." I add, chuckling. Nick smiles, "I'll give him a call."