•Twenty•

Letting out an aggravated sigh as I stare at the ceiling, I continue to allow my thoughts to consume me

Letting out an aggravated sigh as I stare at the ceiling, I continue to allow my thoughts to consume me. The sun is beginning to rise, the orange lighting up the sky as the stars fade.

I was unable to sleep with all the shit going on inside my head, everything that's happened, and the plans I need to put in motion. I look over at the sleeping beauty curled up next to me. So many times throughout the night, I wanted to wake her and have her wrapped around me as I held on to her for dear life.

The image of her not being here kept me from fulfilling what I wanted. This will be the hardest day I've endured since my mother left this world. The day I was told the only light in my dark world had left me. I have tried so hard not to let that night replay in my head, but since I laid my head on this pillow hours ago, my mind has been sifting through the entire week leading up to that nightmare.

I knew deep down that Caine had to be involved in her death. I didn't have any proof to back it up, so I couldn't end his life and expect the family to accept it. You can't kill the boss on hunches, especially if he's your father. I knew if he didn't step down after finding him with Karla, I would have killed him. Since he didn't, I left.

My phone begins vibrating on the nightstand, bringing me out of my thoughts. I see Ace's number glowing from the screen. I gently remove myself from the bed and press accept. "Ace," I answer in a low voice, grabbing a pair of joggers from my bag.

"How are things in California?" He asks as I glance back at Ray, making sure I hadn't woken her before I slipped out of the room. Closing the door behind me gently, I walked towards the stairs.

"Things are under control. I'm sure Nick has told you about us getting Ray back." I hear him hum, "Yes, but he told me that you were going to call and tell me what happened during the meeting with Dante. I didn't get a call from you, so I figured I'd check-in."

After reaching the bottom of the stairs, I head straight for the patio outside. What I need to tell him is important and I'd rather have privacy from Dante's men and employees. I really should wait to tell him in person but the shit that's been spinning around in my head all night outweighs my patience to do so.

"I have something I need to ask you, and I want the fucking truth," I said in a calm but stern voice as I walk out towards the flower garden.

"Of course, nephew. What's going on Damien? You have never questioned me, not like this. Why would you not trust me?" His voice seemed a bit angered and concerned.

"Dante told me he ran into Aunt Rosa, in Hawaii a while back. She told him she had received a letter from mom right before she died." I pause—if he fucking knew the truth this entire time and kept this from me, I will kill him along with his fucking brother.

"What did the note say?" He asked curiously. "Seems I'm not Caine Heart son." I breathed out and the line goes completely quiet. "Seems my mother and Caine have lied to me my entire life," I add.