Forbidden Love Part 1

The Gate silently opened and in the distance the house of Cassis was huge and intimidating as Mark approached it, seated on acre of land nestled like a crown, everyone in this city was familiar with how influential the family was. His parents had called in many favors to get him his position here as all workers of the Cassis house were of lower nobility are some form of prominent standing within society. He was not so fortunate but he hoped to make his parents and family proud by his service all the same.

The guard came up to him,

"Name and identification Sir," the well-dressed gentleman said to him.

"Mark Verlone and here is all the information that I have on me," Mark replied handing the guard the documents from his bag.

The man nodded as he went through the document, you may proceed, and the head maid has been expecting you.

Mark continued walking as he took in all the sights and scenes around him; it was like stepping into art. The hedges were shaped and crafted the garden was well maintained and the area that seem like a large guest reception was stunning with its view.

Finally, after what felt like a short walk due to the sites, he was at his destination before knocking he made sure he gussy up himself at the door, he started to give himself a pep talk and moved his hands accordingly.

Until he heard the laugh of a girl behind him, he turned around to see a young girl with blonde hair and green eyes trying her best to hide her laugh.

"Apologies," he said to her, with an embarrassed expression trying to regain some of his pride, "I didn't know anyone was behind me."

The girl gave him a warm smile, "I have been here a while but you were so into what you were doing I couldn't help but listen, what is your name?"

"My name is Mark," he said pausing before adding "Mam."

"Wonderful," she said as she proceeded to open the door, "come with me."

"I'm sorry my lady but I have to meet with the head maid first," Mark said to her as he took a step in the inside of the mansion.

"Wow!" he exclaimed as he felt as though he had left earth.

The girl laughed again "I only meant through the door but it seems as though this is where we part Mark."

The girl left him and he didn't have long to think before he was greeted by one of the maids.

"You must be Mark, I am Selima," she said, "come with me."

Mark followed her as he was lead to the head maid's office

"Welcome, "an old woman said to him looking him over, Selima bowed and then left. "I have been going over your information you seem like quite the talented person, this is the first time we will have someone who is not of some form of noble birth here, I do have high expectations for you. My name is Dorothy."

"A pleasure to finally meet you mam," Mark said as he bowed courteously.

Well then let's get to the matter of your work she said. He was shown his sleeping areas, work clothes and his duties which ranged from mostly dealing with maintenance outside the house, throughout all of his work for the first week at the Mansion, he had not met his boss rather the owner of this place, he wondered why but he always seemed to be running into this mysterious girl.

If he didn't know any better he would assume she was stalking him and she always seemed amused by him as she kept catching him in some rather embarrassing moments. She enjoyed laughing at him and would disappear quite fast afterward, he had wondered if to ask about her but he didn't know if it would be a problem so he never mentioned it to anyone.

What he was told,that the owners had a young daughter but this girl never seem to make mention of her superiority to him maybe she was a friend of the daughter but he assumed she had to hold rank here and by the end of the week he had found her company to be amusing even though she constantly picked at him to her own amusement, they now shared a common banter with each other from familiarity.

The head maid cleared her throat bringing Mark back to reality,

"Tonight, Mark you will be working the dinner shift alongside a few other maids, take this time to get acquainted with them and the chef."

"This is an important night as Mr. Elon Cassis will be here tonight for the first time in at least two years along with him his new wife."

Jacqueline Cassis, please note she is very fond of her red wine.

"Everything is listed within the report if they are any questions let me know now, with that you may leave."

Mark had taken the initiative to set the table he laid out the cutlery and placed it perfect alignment, everything was set and he stood in his position waiting for the night to play out.

It was a short wait before the members of the house came to dinner only three persons for such a big table and that's when Sheldon saw the girl who had teased him earlier. She gave him a quick smile as she passed him by and took her seat at the table.