55. We Need Him Part 5

So this one-shot used to be titles "Stars" and was obviously, very different. However I had to remove that one-shot since I plan on getting a non-fanfic version of it published, so sadly I could not have it published here. Instead I replaced it with another part of the We Need Him story that two of you have now requested. 

@Riordanbooklover and @jana_mahmoud if you guys want another part just let me know!

"What do you mean 'no'?" Clarisse asked. "The camp is gone and if we don't get it back-"

"I said no," Percy cut her off. "I've been fine for eight years now, I don't need to come back."

"But we need you." Will spoke now, looking up at him from the chair next to Annabeth, his eyes pleading.

Percy frowned at him. "Once she's better, you can leave. I'll tell her where to find you if she wants to come back, but I will not be going with you."

"Percy-" but it was too late. Percy ignored Will and walked back outside, into the rain.

Cass stood for a moment, watched him leave then turned her attention back to Clarisse. Percy had told her about them. How Clarisse had dunked his face into the camp toilets on the first day. How she was a fierce warrior in every game and fight. How Will was always strong and stoic. How nothing could ever stand between him and someone who needed his help. But now, they both looked defeated. Like demigods who had reached the end of their lines. It made Cass sad just looking at them. When Percy had walked out, they both visibly sunk; their final hope of winning this battle has just told them they weren't important enough to him anymore. "I'll talk to him." Cass told them, following Percy outside.

This time he didn't bother with the bubble. The rain soaked his clothes and plastered his hair to his head. He stood looking out at the lake, his arms crossed over his chest. Cass stood next to him, her hood drawn up blocking him from her view and keeping the rain out of her face. She knew he hadn't moved when she got there, but she felt him glance at her. "I'm not going with them." he said.

Cass didn't answer.

Percy huffed. "I mean, what have they ever done for me? I've done well for that past eight years, and I hear nothing from them. None of them even thought to search for me before now. They only ever ask when they need something." he paused for a moment. Cass heard him shift uncomfortably. "Maybe this is how the gods felt. We never came to them unless we needed something. I don't blame them for leaving."

Cass waited until she was sure he was done. "Will saved Annabeth." she said calmly. Percy didn't respond so she took that as an invitation to keep talking. "Everything you told me about them, they were your friends, Percy. They still are. Maybe they didn't seek you out because they knew you didn't want to be found. But is that even true? For the past several years, you've been making a home here, less than three miles from their new camp, practically right in their backyard. I think a part of you was waiting for this day."

"I stayed here because it was a shelter next to water."

"Bullshit." Cass replied, turning to look at him now. "If you wanted that you would have moved near the ocean. That is where you're strongest, you said so yourself. But no, you settled here, next to a freshwater lake that only holds one species of fish. And don't even try to convince me they are your friends now cause you were complaining just yesterday how the trout never have interesting things to say."

Percy turned his face away, Cass could see his fists clenching and the ground under them started to tremble slightly. But she knew he was just frustrated because he knew she was right.

"So?" she prompted.

He huffed and walked back to the cave. Will was still sitting next to Annabeth, Clarisse stood with a hand on his shoulder, looking sadder than before. "Okay." Percy said when he entered. "I'll help you."