19. An Old Story Part 4

"Oh my gods." I breathed.

Astraea collapsed almost immediately after reading the note. Nico caught her as Percy stood to help. They set her gently on the ground as Will practically leaped over the table to check on her.

"I-I have no idea what's wrong with her." Will said after a moment.

"She just fainted didn't she?" I asked. I moved my arm off her book and it rattled on the table.

It started shaking violently drawing everyone's eyes to it. With a burst of light it flung open, pages flipping faster than a hand could move them. It finally stilled on a page about ten away from the end. Three symbols pulsed with soft light in order.

I reached out and followed the pulse, pressing each symbol as it went. Once the sequence stopped, the book stilled. Just for a moment it was like any other book. Then it split down the spin. The pages folded back like a pop up book. I leaned forward to look in. But I stopped when a loud screeching sound erupted from the book.

I fell backwards, dimly aware of my body crashing into Percy, as I scrambled to block out the sound with my hands. Everyone else was in the same state, on the floor with hand to their ears. As I watched, my eyes watering from the intensity of the sound, Astraea jerked awake and pressed her hand to one ear while holding her shoulder against the other as she reached for the book. She slammed it closed and the screeching stopped.

"What the Hades was that?" Clarisse exclaimed.

"A safeguard." Astraea answered, slumping back on the floor, clearly exhausted. "It's used to wake someone from the deepest sleep. Even a coma."

"Well I'm definitely awake." Percy grumbled.

"What should we do about your note?" I asked as everyone retook their seats and Astraea and Nico claimed two empty ones.

"I fear that we have a much greater problem." Chiron said. We all turned to him. "The gods no doubt know who you are now. We have to make sure they accept you. If not, then we must figure out what to do."

"How will we know?" Astraea asked.

I answered by pointing above her, where the soft blue glow of a symbol shone above her head. The same symbol I remembered seeing above Percy. Poseidon is claiming her. Before the symbol faded, it was replaced by the symbol of Zeus, Hades, followed by many others. Some were changing too fast to see while others shown for a moment as if the god who sent them was proud to show their support. Then it stopped.

"I think they approve." Percy spoke up while everyone else just stared at Astraea.

Her mouth formed into a small smirk and her eyes shone with relief.

"Ooh! I want to ask something!" Leo grinned.

I started, "Leo-"

"What cabin should she stay in?" He said a little loud as if he wanted his voice to be heard from the clouds.

As if in response, a symbol repeated itself above Astraea. A glowing greenish blue trident. Poseidon.

"Cool! It worked!" Leo exclaimed, smirking up a storm. "Looks like you two got a roomy." He aimed his smirk at Percy and I.

I glared at Leo then turned to Percy. We shared a sort of puzzled look. Poseidon wasn't normally the god to take in other god's kids. This was a little strange.

Aside from that, it was pretty common knowledge that since our marriage, we had been living together in cabin 3. Neither of us were sure how we feel about another person living with us.