54

"Yeah, I don't think it's such a great idea," said Nathan into his phone

"Yeah, I don't think it's such a great idea," said Nathan into his phone. At any second it looked like he'd crush it judging by his whitening knuckles. "So? I know. And?"

Curiosity one day would be the death of me, and yet it didn't stop me.
Standing comfortably and with caution by the kitchen island, my open palms pressed against the cool table top, whilst watching Nathan pacing the room back and forth.
When he spots me watching him, I sharply spin away and head for the fridge. It'd be a good distraction and keep me within ears reach of this conversation.

"I don't have time for this. I have my life, and you guys have yours. Live it. I don't need either of you calling and guilt tripping me to be any different... not after the years I endured living with you, bye," his tone colder than the freezer I'm searching through.
Closing the food compartment and freezer door and slowly stand up to casually glance his way. He's staring at the centre of his where his phone rested and tosses it on the couch.
I let out a sigh of relief, thankfully he didn't break another one.

"Everything okay?" I ask without realising the words had escaped my lips. And a little too perky in my tone, trying to lighten a tense call.

"Mhm? Oh, its fine, all good," he's blunt and takes off for the bathroom.

"Cool, mm... cool," I reply and roll my eyes. Guess I deserve the icy treatment, too.

Within seconds he's back out, a small towel flopped over his shoulder. He creeps up behind to leave a quick kisses on my cheek and goes on to head for the door.

"Wait, you're leaving?" I ask the obvious and before he exits.

"Yeah? I've got practice with the guys," he looks down to himself, decked out in his sporty attire. "I won't be out late."

"Oh, alright," I fold my arms against my chest and give him a small nod. "Have fun then."

He returns a sheepish smile and exits.  I didn't expect a dramatic farewell, but more answers about the call he'd just ended. Again, curiosity creeps within me and I go over to the couch, he hadn't bothered to grab his phone.
I waited a few more seconds and hear a faint sound of the car ignition.
Taking hold of the device, I check his call history. The numbers aren't saved except a few. The most recent one, the call had gone on for 20 minutes, I'd only been there for 3 minutes of it when coming home from work.
Lapping my tongue across my drying bottom lip, I peer to the door and back to the phone and hit call. I had to know who he was speaking to, maybe I'd know by the tone.
It's only 3 rings in and the line answers.

"Nathan? I didn't think you'd call back already. Please listen to me, hear me out," a frantic woman whimpers into the phone.
"Nathan?"
I try to muster a convincing sound, one that'd match his groan and grunts. I hmm into the line and they proceed to go on.
"I know we haven't always had it easy, especially not with your father. He pushed you and I let him. I tried to stop him but I had my battles, too. I always tried to protect you."