51

A few days had passed

Tucked away in a quiet room, Lucas slept with his face resting on the top of Karen's thigh and  their hands entwined.  Thankfully we received confirmation she's going to be fine, just a little drowsy from the drugs and recovering from a minor surgery.

Making my way through the room just as silent as it'd been, I take careful steps towards Haley who'd been staring out to the comparatively quieter streets here to the city.

"How's she doing?" asking with my eyes locked on both Lucas and Karen.

"She's fine. We got good news earlier about her going home tomorrow morning." 

I hear a small whimper leave Haley's pursed lips, her arms carefully engulfing me against her trembling body. "I'm sorry if we've not always gotten along. It doesn't mean I don't love you anymore than I already do... you know we push each other-"

"Hey, hey, I know, and I love you, too," I pull her face into my shoulder and kiss her on the top of her head and squeezing her even tighter. 

We remain still and silent.

Until I had another person come to mind, who I needed to ask about. "So, how's Sam?"

"Sam? He's okay, still a little shaken up," she swallows a lump bobbing in her throat, the glazed look in her eyes hinting she may cry at any second. "He tried to visit but left as soon as she saw Karen, he thinks this is all his fault."

"What? But he's not the one that shot her." 

I'm not sure if I'd raised my voice a little too loud, when Karen lets out a weak groan and a tired Lucas inspects her, before the pair settle down again. 

When it's say to do so, I continue on to say, "In fact, he's innocent in all of this, so keep reminding him of that.  I mean, have they even found the offenders after they fled the scene?"

"The police took reports and are working on it but no news yet..."

"So they're still on the lose? Is there any idea why the attack happened there? Or was it just bad luck and timing?"

"I don't know, Sam reckons it was all random but part of me has my doubts. We've lived here our entire life and then all of a sudden there's an attack. It just doesn't add up."

"Thinking of a new career path are you?" I try to tease her to earn a smile, and to ease up a tense situation. "Detective James, it has a good ring to it."

"I want justice served, if anything. Regardless of why they did it. They need to pay for hurting Karen. And look at him, too. He'll be the one to kill someone if he found out the person who did it. There's so much trouble, I just want to be the one to end this before things get out of hand."

"Haley, it's not your place to step in. If the police are working on it, leave it with them."

"I can't sit back and wait. What if they try to attack Sam again? He's a witness, he's more than likely a target, if word gets out of their description, aside footage..." she starts to hyperventilate and I grab her in for another hug but her arms reflect mine and she steps back. "I'm fine, I just need some air."

"Haley, wait." I try to stop her but Karen groans again and Lucas starts to panic. I switch back and forth trying to decide which one to go to, Haley would be okay.. she needed some space and I'll go find her later. I go to Karen and Lucas

"Hey, hey, it's okay..." I flatten her hair and sweep it from her face.
A balloon bursts in the hallway and her eyes shoot open and she lets out a yelp and struggles in Lucas' grasped hands.
"Karen! It's okay, it's okay, it's just a balloon. You're safe here." I grab on to one hand now, so the both of us can keep her settled.

She lets out a breath of relief and falls back on t her pillow.

"I-I can't go back," Lucas refers to his current life at University. "I have to stay here. Even for a little while."

"I'm sure they'd understand," I tell him but keep my eyes on Karen who's drifted back to sleep. Her breathing steadies and she seems peaceful.

"I really wanted to talk with you," Lucas says and we both look a gaze. "What happened the other day, it's not what you think..."

"Is this really the place to talk about that?"

"You won't speak to me any other time, so yeah, now is perfect." He frowns at me and tries to find understanding buried in my hard exterior. "If you don't want me, I have to move on with someone else, don't I?"

"Not with our friend, Lucas! It'll kill Brooke and it's just weird."

"How? Brooke's moved on and so can I, and you did, too."

"Why do we keep going in circles? Yes, I moved on because you never gave us the proper chance. It's not my fault. You need to accept it and move on..."

"Exactly why Peyton will do."

"Will do? She's not like a hobby where you can go and do it whenever it suits or pleases you. We're talking about a real person who's going to fall hard for you," My eyes flicker back and forth between his, "will you be the one to pick her up when she falls or will you let her get hurt?"

"Neither. She won't fall, or be hurt. She told me herself, we're just friends who need a little bit of help."

"Are you that thick? Of course she'll get feelings and maybe you will, too. I don't know what's more of a surprise. If you think this will be okay or that no one will get hurt."

"I've told you who I want and that won't be changing anytime soon..." Lucas tells me and I take my cue to leave the room, the conversation going no where, frustration seeping through my veins and Karen didnt need to feel my wrath over her sons ignorance at this point.

--------------

I wasn't sure if I'd make a post or not, but I'm going to leave this here for now. I may come back to edit this.. it's not the greatest but I'd rather post what the last thing is I have for this series, currently.. because, I'd love for you to please checkout my revamped version called 'changing'.