43

On the road, Nathan's been entrusted with driving and hopefully to his parents place, without any detours

I'm busy on my phone, messaging back and forth with Samantha for a good 10 minutes. I've been trying to explain I won't be in next week or possibly longer; embracing the study break and time to carefully consider my next movements.
At this point, a day off, or any time off, isn't exactly apart of Samantha's vocabulary.

Another flood of texts pops up, one from Brooke asking to catch up, another from Chris, which it's nice to hear from him. We hadn't spoken much since the night of my escape from Sam, but I'm still thankful for his company. And more importantly, a message from Ruby, who's one of the girls I work with at the cafe. Funnily enough, I'd learnt about some of the cafe history through shifts with her.
Ruby is Samantha's cousin, who's uncle, or father to Samantha, Cameron Bean; a fitting name for someone, who owns this cute cafe on a Main Street in town.

Quite often he's out of town on business, which meant Samantha ran the cafe. Also, it explains her crazy stress levels and OCD needs for the place to be absolutely perfect. Me having time off only throws a spanner in her planning. 

I send a message in reply to Ruby. Maybe, she can put it into words that Samantha can understand and I was starting to feel motion sick from reading my phone in a moving car.

"You're positive about this?" Nathan asks, flicking the indication stick and takes a left.

"For the hundredth time, yes. We both need to do this. For your sake, and for me to redeem myself with your family..." I reply back, trying to remain calm and not show any sign of fear.

"He'll be able to tell," Nathan smuggly suggests and I furrow my brows at him, "What? I'm just saying. He always caught me out on my lies in school with Peyton-"

"I can't help being nervous, your parents aren't  exactly my biggest fans." I stare outside the window, trying to take a few calming breaths, which I hope Nathan doesn't notice.

"It'll be okay," he replied and puts his hand over mine, in my lap. "You've got me there."

"Mhm, true, or maybe Tim can save me."

Nathan rolls his eyes at the suggestion, taking back his hand and making another turn.

The streets change from crowded housing to spaced out yards. The houses were stupidly huge, especially in comparison to our shoebox apartment, which would be a lounge room in some of these homes.

The transition between seasons' upon us, autumn setting in. The tall trees to either side of the road forming an overhead arch, breathtakingly beautiful. Their leaves cascading and spinning in the breeze. Thankfully this year I'm not at home to take the mess the leaves created. Instead I could appreciate the changing colours fall brings.

The car slowly rolls to a halt by the curb and I take in the sight of his family home he gestures towards. I can spoke a basketball hoop tucked away in a little courtyard area, it's surrounded with well kept greenery and a chair tucked under a large tree, where I picture to be a perfect reading spot.