48

Our weekend away sadly felt short lived and yet ended on such a high

Our weekend away sadly felt short lived and yet ended on such a high. My parents loved Nathan, no one ended up throttling another and any bickering had been kept to a minimum; Aside from myself and dad battling for the last say in any matter, this was to be expected. Ultimately, mission accomplished.

The GPS' voice interrupts our music to instruct the next turn; we're on the home stretch and not far to go now.

Stealing a glance through the sun visors mirror, Chris' happily sandwiched in-between Sam and Haley, contrasting his mood by miserably staring out the cars' windows.

"Did you have fun?" I decide to ask everyone.
I didn't care who answered, really we needed some kind of conversation, rather than the dull hum of the engine. Or Nathan's horrible choice in music, which involves my hands being attacked if I even dared to touch the mans' radio. The only thing I managed was turning down the volume enough to tolerate it - barely.

Nathan hums happily in response, followed by his hand clutching mine and squeezing it.

"I had a fan-tas-tic time, your mum definitely loves me... I think I'm even inspired to write a song about her..." Chris ponders and hums some words, along with his head booping to a tune only he can hear. And continues to say, "Watta 'bout you guys?" he stretches his long arms around either of them. More so Haley, taking advantage of the opportunity to tuck her into his side.

"Peachy, just peachy," Haley cups her chin, propping her elbow up to the door frame and staring off in the moving distance.

Chris wasn't lying when he said he got along with our parents so well, because like his music, he'd been a hit meeting our parents. Mum in particular, being a sucker for a musician and one who happily serenaded her originals or cover songs at her request, turning into a sing a long - karaoke hour at our place.

However Sam, looked like he'd turn the word hit and give it another definition for Chris; by  punching him in the face.
Knowing who he is and his temper, we're about 10 seconds from disaster.

"And you Sam?" I question him swiftly, noting his balled fist when I glance around the back of my seat, rather than through the mirror. "Did you enjoy yourself and meeting the parents, again?"

"Oh it was a grand ol'time," he mutters and the blood returns to his released fist, wrapping his hand around the tips of his thigh by his knee. By holding on to himself, he'd be holding back from a fight.

For Nathan's sake and driving, I prayed he'd remain calm enough until we're safely back in town. Then he can do as he pleases.

"Call me, when you're home, so I know no one got hurt on the way," I whisper to Haley upon hugging her tense figure.

Chris and Sam are at a safe distance from one another but still trying to keep close to Haley.

"If I make it there," she mutters back and sighs, backing away and dealing with those two - who fought over the front passenger seat next to her, who's driving them back to campus.