Chapter 9: "Past"

Ruqaiya opened her eyes slowly with the heaviness of sleep still persistent on her eyelids.Tilting her head to the side she looked over to her left and found Jalal sleeping peacefully.She smiled looking at the sleepy image of her husband beside her and  got off the bed after carefully putting the blanket over him.
She took the dupatta placed near her pillow and placed it over her shoulder and head.
Walking up to the balcony she reminisced the events from the previous night.A smile found it's way on her lips.
How did  he know i was upset,how does he always seem to know when i need him.
She thought turning around looking at Jalal who was still fast asleep.
A small smile found it's way upto her lips.
Jalal was always beside her whenever she was upset.He somehow seem to know when she would be happy or upset and she always found him with her through thick and thin, giving her the much needed support.

She turned around, putting her hands on the fence of balcony and ran her gaze through the garden where the chripping sound of birds could be heard making the environment alot more agreeable.

The melodious sound of a tune brought her back from her trail of thoughts.A beautiful sound that can make anyone intoxicated.
The melody was coming from the garden located at some distance from her chambers that was used by Jalal's Navratans( the nine jewels).One of whom was Tansen, who was titled "Mian Tansen" by Jalal.
He was a great musician, perhaps the greatest musician of his times, known far and wide for his unmatchable talents.
He usually practices very early in the morning even before the dawn.Most of the people in th palace woke up hearing his melodious "raag"(classic song).

She closed her eyes, taking in the melody, that reached her heart.She found someone standing beside her but didn't open her eyes.
Suddenly she felt a hand being placed on her own, opening her eyes she looked beside her and found Jalal standing there with sleepy eyes.

What are you up so early, aren't you feeling sleepy?
Asked Jalal with a look of concern in his eyes.
I have slept enough for today, can't sleep anymore.
R

uqaiya answered shifting her gaze back towards the garden.

"Are you sure? You slept really late last night. Are you okay"?
Asked Jalal a bit concerned.

"I am fine Jalal don't worry, go rest you look tired.I will stay here for sometime".
Ruqaiya replied looking in his direction.
"Nah,i am not feeling sleepy as well, wanna give you company, only if you don't mind?"
Jalal asked her

Well i don't mind at all.You are permitted to stay.
Ruqaiya said in a commanding way.
Jalal chuckled at it and brought her near him placing his head on her shoulder. Ruqaiya placed her other hand on his arm and smiled resting her head on his.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mariam was pacing here and there in her room waiting eagerly for someone when the door was opened and Moti bai came in and stood infront of her.

What happened Moti, did you find out why shehenshah went so hurridly in her room?
Mariam asked moti bai who was standing infront of her with a look of satisfication.

Yes, i have found everything out and you know what it was because of her  dream, yet again.
Moti bai anwered her smiling mischievously.

Ah! Ruqaiya and her never ending dramas.
Mariam said returning her the same mischievous smile

She's doing all this to get Shehenshsh's   attention,these all are her tricks to  keep Jalal near her.
Mariam said through gritted teeth.