Chapter Twenty

S

"One hundred fifty Fallajar, please." The pixie handed over a paper bill, smiling happily at her new necklace. "Thank you." I was in the Pixie capital, making a steady flow of cash.

It had been nine months since Acheron and I separated temporarily, and my heart ached every time I thought about him. He brushed my mind every so often, his words of "I love you," or "I miss you," came through at least once a night. I did return them, and we kept our communication brief.

"Demon... I recognize your face." I looked up, finding one that I did not recognize. "Anora..."

"She was my mother..." I raised an eyebrow. "And you are?"

"My apologies. I am Dakhir, a long time friend of Anorah." This Pixie had long midnight blue hair, pulled back into a ponytail, and sharp facial features. He was by no means ugly, but I was not phased by his beauty. "I heard what happened in the city those years ago..."

"I'm sure everybody has." I tidied my booth up.

"Where is your mate? Surely, he wouldn't leave you to all these promiscuous Fae and Pix alone." I scoffed.

"Are you calling yourself a whore, sir?" He chortled.

"Me? A whore? Bah! I don't find females attractive in the least! I'm simply here because I recognized Anora's lemongrass and ash scent... But diluted with Dragon."

"So, why are you here, then?" His facade fell.

"I come to ask a request of you, actually. My brother and his mate recently passed away from a curse, and they left behind a newborn son, Hakir. He will be sent to the city orphanage if nobody adopts him, and I'd rather like to see my nephew grow up happy and loved. I know you and your mate have been trying since-" I winced but I didn't correct him. "The accident, and... I figured you may want to adopt him." My heart froze. "You are the blood of my best friend who no longer roams this terrain... I wouldn't trust anybody else." A lump the size of my fist grew in my throat.

"I'd be honored to do so, Dakhir..."  I reached out to Acheron, trying to get his attention.

What's wrong, Saph? He asked.

I need you to come home... It's not an emergency, but I need you home. I pleaded to him. It was silent for a moment.

"Can you come back to my abode? I can help you pack up."

I'll set out in an hour.

I followed Dakhir to his home, where I heard the crying of a newborn. He led me into the house, and I saw his mate holding the wailing newborn, who refused to take a bottle.

"Valyn, this is Sapphire, daughter of Anora and Damien." I smiled softly. "She and her mate are going to be adopting Hakir." Unlike Dakhir, his mate had piercing black hair, a softer face, and brilliant almost-white blue eyes.

"Greetings, halfling." He stood. "Maybe you can console him." He shifted the bundle into my arms, and his cries died down, and the bright, amethyst eyes stared up at me curiously.

"Hi, Hakir..." I breathed, cooing at him. His hands reached out to me, and he took my finger. Tears formed in my eyes as the thought of my own son never being able to have the chance to do this filled my mind.

But Hakir was being given to me.

I would have a son regardless... Not of my blood, but by choice.

"He likes you." Dakhir smiled at me. "He would have banished you if he didn't like you." I stuck my tongue out at him, getting a giggle from him.

"He's perfect..." I smiled back. "Acheron will be here in an hour... Any way I can safely get home without having to fly?"

"We can accompany you home. Us Pixies can fly, too. We can carry him while you change."

*

When I came up to my home, Acheron was already waiting by the pond. I landed across from him, morphing back, and slipped my dress on.

"What was the problem, Sapphire?" He didn't make an attempt to touch me, but he did close the distance.

"I think..." I took Hakir from his uncle, "Kaiah answered our prayers." He looked to the pixies.

"He's my Nephew... And I entrust any offspring of Anora to take guardianship of him." Hakir looked to Acheron, his bright purple eyes shining. He reached for Acheron, and his posture broke when Hakir gripped his finger.

"You... you're sure about this?" He asked the pixies.

"Many of our people might have come to terms with same-sex mates, but they still frown upon them adopting and raising children." Valyn said. "Besides, we know we can come visit any time." He gave us a soft smile.

"Of course..." They each gave him a kiss, then flew off, back to their home. "We have a son..." He breathed, looking at Hakir.

"We have a son." I smiled at Acheron. He shifted Hakir to one arm, enveloping me in the other. I wrapped my arms around him, feeling a weight be taken off my shoulders. I stood on the tips of my toes to give him a kiss, then grinned cheekily at Hakir.

"What is his name?" He asked, stuck on the baby's gaze.

"Hakir."

"Hakir... Aren't you a handsome boy.." He giggles and showed us a toothless smile.

"Let's go home and put that crib to use, shall we?" I looked back to him.

"Indeed, we shall."

*

Hakir went down easy after some formula, and slept soundly through the night.

Acheron and I... We made up for lost time.

Waking up in his arms was something I missed more than our physical love.

"Good morning." I smiled at him, kissing his nose. He opened his eyes, gave a half-hearted chuckle, and attacked my lips as if they were his breakfast.

"Good morning, mate of mine." He brushed my mane back. Right as we were entangled, and about to do something else, Hakir decided to give a little scream that he was ready for attention. Acheron grinned at me, and opted to get out of bed, first.

Seeing him happy was one of my greatest joys.

"I guess someone's ready for breakfast." He came in with Hakir, who stared at me expectantly.

"Let's get you a bottle, shall we?" I pinched his cheek, and began our day.

A little joy for our dragon and halfling.